Help Me Identify This Rifle (SOLVED - Type 99)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just inherited this rifle. Not home yet, but my girl sent me some pictures. All I know is that it's a Japanese 7.7 Cal Rifle. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 133
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 162
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 142

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What MM said. It seems to be missing the chrysanthemum symbol, which would have been on the receiver bridge forward of the hole. That was common on Type 99's after the war, when most had that symbol of the Emperor defaced or removed completely since it was considered an insult for an intact symbol to fall into the hands of the enemy. But get this - the Allied occupational army ordered GI's to do a lot of the defacing, to keep the Japanese population appeased. Files and bayonets were commonly used for this.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What MM said. It seems to be missing the chrysanthemum symbol, which would have been on the receiver bridge forward of the hole. That was common on Type 99's after the war, when most had that symbol of the Emperor defaced or removed completely since it was considered an insult for an intact symbol to fall into the hands of the enemy. But get this - the Allied occupational army ordered GI's to do a lot of the defacing, to keep the Japanese population appeased. Files and bayonets were commonly used for this.

Would you say the symbol was certainly filed off, or could the rifle have been made closer to 1945 and simply didn't have it at all?

I've done some research as well. Thank you guys so much! Feel free to keep the info coming.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it was the 7.7 Mod 99 that Col Jeff Cooper said was the only action he couldn't blow up with proof loads.
I have one that was rebarreled after the war to a .300 Savage and sporterized.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you say the symbol was certainly filed off, or could the rifle have been made closer to 1945 and simply didn't have it at all?

I've done some research as well. Thank you guys so much! Feel free to keep the info coming.

It depends. What does the back of the bolt look like, and what is the SN range and arsenal mark?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom