Help me out! Glock42 or Colt Mustang?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to get one of these two in the next few days for a pocket pistol. I know some may say the G42 isn't small enough for a pocket pistol, but some say it is. I don't wear skinny jeans, so I think it will be fine there. Ive already got a G19, so I like the feel of the G42 and its plain and simple to use. The Mustang looks a bit smaller due to the shorter barrel, but overall length front to back they are about the same. The G42 is $399 and the Mustang is $499. I also know of an available Mustang XSP which is the all black version with a dovetail front sight and angled serrations on the slide that I could get new for $479. Not sure why, but the XSP was discontinued last year. I think I like the regular Mustang Pocketlite with the silver slide and black frame a little more than the all black. I just cant decide, I lean towards the Glock one minute and then the Colt the next. lol. Ive held and like the feel of both as well. Thoughts?

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/380-Mustang

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...LT+MUSTANG+XSP+380ACP+SS+SLIDE+BLK+POLY+FRAME

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g42

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Glock 42 all the way. I really like the Colts but I don't consider any single action a good choice for pocket carry even with a high quality holster. JMO

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it (1911 diehard here) go with the glock. Had the mustang Pocketlite and I have to say, exposed hammers and pockets are a bad mix. Plus that dinky little safety is a pain if you need to get a shot off fast. Sold my mustang and went with a little DB9 9mm. Smaller than the Glock and lighter than the Mustang and no exposed hammers and no thumb safety. Just a light DAO trigger. That's my $.02

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a couple of both. The Colt sure shoots nice but I agree with then above. If you want a true pocket carry, then go with the Glock.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you already have a Glock 19 as your primary weapon, why not simplify your ammo and go with a Glock 43 instead?

It's just a whisper larger than the Glock 42, which won't be noticed in the pocket, and you have the 9mm power.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not calling the .380 cartridge a pusillanimous, sub-caliber round, God knows I wouldn't wanna be shot with it, but if your main pistol is a 9mm it just makes sense that your hideout pistol should be too.

We are living in some awesome times when it comes to pocket guns dudes. When I was a young man, the smallest guns we could shove in our pocket (that was a 'major' caliber) was a Smith & Wesson J frame. Anything smaller was chambered in .22LR, .25ACP or maybe a .32ACP. Hell, even the .380s back then (Walther PPK and others) were too big (and heavy) for pocket carry.

But then again...we all carried wheel guns too. The only autos available weighed a ton and basically your only choices was a Colt 1911, a Browning Hi Power or a Smith & Wesson model 39 or 59. When the Glock came along in 1985, the handgun world changed FOREVER!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son bought a brand new Colt Mustang a few years ago and had probs with it. Sent it back to factory,they worked on it. Went to shoot it again and when it acted up FTE. End ended up selling it...

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are still considering the Colt Mustang I would suggest you take a look at the Sig P238 It is a revised Colt .380 Mustang in function from their patent and works well. It easily pocket carries in a flat holster. For me it is just enough smaller than a 9mm to make a difference for CC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom