Help me pick a chainsaw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Run them on white gas/Coleman fuel and never worry about gas going bad ever again! A little more expensive to run, but I've never had to worry about having the carb varnished up. I had to richen my Stihl just a smidge and I mix a little extra oil to make up for a drier gas, but it is worth it!

Details? Never ran white gas, but I run all my stuff on 91 no ethanol, or the canned stuff from Stihl/Echo etc

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of you Stihl fanboys have an 044? It’s a beast of a saw, and mine has worked great from Day One. But I admit to using a smaller Stihl for most of my tree work.
I just happened to see on Craigslist yesterday evening an 044 and an 046 magnum for sale down around Harrah. They were in the OKC region if y’all interested.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stihl 021 I've had it more years than I can remember. Fixing to try this pole saw attachment on a Cub Cadet that I got off of @Gunbuffer. I know it's got the power, should work just fine for taking off some high stuff.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife’s grandfather split his wood by hand for 60yrs. A few years ago for Christmas my wife and I gave him a 24 ton splitter. It was from Northern Tool and the Honda engine is probably what made me choose it. Another cool feature is that when the ram returns “home” it kicks the throttle down so it ain’t sitting there wide open. As soon as you hit the lever to split the next log it kick back up to full throttle. It’s really a very simply made feature that I should ad to this swisher splitter here at the ranch. Anyhow, my wifes grandpa has used that splitter a ton and told me last week it still fires right up and runs like new. It sure made his day and ours too when we gave him that gift. That reminds me, maybe this year I’ll buy him the optional splitter head that splits two ways in one cycle.

The 24 ton Northstar from Northern Tool is the one I decided on last night. Great minds and all that.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Echo.
I own Stihls but consider them not as reliable.

My best saw has been a Makita.
It's actually a german made Dolmar.
I've owned it for 25yrs and it has been bulletproof.
So much better that Echo or Stihl in my experience.

Use good oil, mixed correctly.
Keep your air filter clean!

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 24 ton Northstar from Northern Tool is the one I decided on last night. Great minds and all that.

Got a great deal on a County Line 25 ton last Black Friday. Been happy with it but have used splitters with the Honda engine as @Cowcatcher was describing. The throttle down feature is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just happened to see on Craigslist yesterday evening an 044 and an 046 magnum for sale down around Harrah. They were in the OKC region if y’all interested.
I bet I know the guy selling those, there is a guy on eBay from Harrah that repainted my 041 Super. He quot doing olde metal ones because people wouldn’t pay for them any more. As an example my 362 may last for man many years....but an 041 can last for many decades!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Echo.
I own Stihls but consider them not as reliable.

My best saw has been a Makita.
It's actually a german made Dolmar.
I've owned it for 25yrs and it has been bulletproof.
So much better that Echo or Stihl in my experience.

Use good oil, mixed correctly.
Keep your air filter clean!
I disagree, however I will say Echo is a better choice for people who don’t use them daily. Echo’s have a simpler starting procedure and work just as well as any other. Dolmar is a great saw, but parts and service are not as easy to find.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the fellow who runs Tromix still selling refurb’ed chainsaws? He used to be pretty active doing that a few years back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom