Help me pick a chainsaw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it’s the 180 16”. It was $259. I got my husqvarna for $399.
Does your Stihl 180 not start and run well or do you not like it for the job you feed it? I ask because yeah the husky 455 at 56cc/3.5hp should run circles around a Stihl 180 at 39cc/2hp. Kinda apples and oranges ain’t they?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure you’ll get better service. I’m a bad impulse buyer and my local mom and pop store wasn’t open when the impulse became too strong. I went to them today though and ordered parts for the 028 super. Two ladies work the front there and know their stuff! I picked up a set of bigger double dogs for the 362 while there. The little single dog that comes stock on the 362 ain’t much.
Brow....what did you order for an 028 super? I probably have the parts?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been following along here and have a question. What would be the minimum Stihl, Husky or Echo saw for milling in infrequent use? I say “infrequent” but it would be it’s primary role, just not an everyday task. Probably looking at a 20” bar, maybe 24”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brow....what did you order for an 028 super? I probably have the parts?
It went something like this......I came to work here bout 6yrs ago and this saw was tossed off in a corner with burnt up bar and not much of a chain. Upon my inspection it also needed a cage bearing. So I fix it all up and cut one log with it and all is well. Time goes by and it got loaned to a neighbor. After it’s gone for about a week Chico hears in the coffee shop that so and so has our 028 cuz it quit workin when so and so had it borrowed. The so and so “mechanic” said it was junk. Chico picked it up and brought it home. Upon my inspection today, the cage bearing is missing, the sprocket gear that drives the Oiler is missing and the circlip/snap ring that holds the washer down is missing. Saw still starts right up and runs great. So I’ll see how she is after I get those missing parts replaced. In the end, it ain’t my saw and I didn’t loan it out so really I can’t get to mad but you can bet your ass I ain’t loaning my crap out unless I trust the person’s abilities or their checks are good.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been following along here and have a question. What would be the minimum Stihl, Husky or Echo saw for milling in infrequent use? I say “infrequent” but it would be it’s primary role, just not an everyday task. Probably looking at a 20” bar, maybe 24”.

That’s a good question. I look forward to hearing the answer. I’ve thought about cutting some slabs for signs n such.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I researched this myself, as I plan to do a bit of milling. If you’re looking at a 20” or 24” bar, you’d be best off with a saw with at least a 70cc engine. In other words, a big one, and invest in some good ripping chains.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I researched this myself, as I plan to do a bit of milling. If you’re looking at a 20” or 24” bar, you’d be best off with a saw with at least a 70cc engine. In other words, a big one, and invest in some good ripping chains.
So, for those interested, that’d be a Stihl MS462 72cc if you were lookin at a new model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom