Help me pick a chainsaw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick Ried

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you saw guys, (I own a bunch and know how to use them, but I'm not a "saw guy") How much should a guy pay for a good, not hard used, but used 362?

I'm gonna get me another 12-14" top handle too. The one I had gave it's all, but alas it is no more.
You should pull the muffler off and look at the piston through the exhaust port when purchasing a new saw, also inspect the sparkplug to see the running conditions rich/lean. That said you shouldn't spend any more than 400 on a used 362 in even the best condition.

Dick Ried

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your Stihl 180 not start and run well or do you not like it for the job you feed it? I ask because yeah the husky 455 at 56cc/3.5hp should run circles around a Stihl 180 at 39cc/2hp. Kinda apples and oranges ain’t they?
Absolutely, the stihl "equivalent" would be the 362 and its anything but equal. The 362 will leave the 455 still chewing bark.

Dick Ried

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been following along here and have a question. What would be the minimum Stihl, Husky or Echo saw for milling in infrequent use? I say “infrequent” but it would be it’s primary role, just not an everyday task. Probably looking at a 20” bar, maybe 24”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You want at least 90cc. Stihl 066/660/661

Dick Ried

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I researched this myself, as I plan to do a bit of milling. If you’re looking at a 20” or 24” bar, you’d be best off with a saw with at least a 70cc engine. In other words, a big one, and invest in some good ripping chains.
Please dont, you'll kill a wonderful saw. RIP cuts are extremely hard on a saw, the 462 will over heat and take forever and a day doing it. The 066 is the minimum you should run on a mill. Optimally the 880.

Dick Ried

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every Stihl I own is hard to start, and if you don't do everything right, and I mean everything, they will flood and then you're toast for a little while. That's why my next one will probably be an Echo. I hear they aren't as touchy to start.

If and when they start, they run and perform fine, they are just a little on the persnickety side when it comes to starting. The older ones, if you ever prime them or choke them, they will flood.
Sounds like your saws are out of tune. Stihl starting procedure: full choke 2-3 pulls (you'll get a pop) one click up to half choke 2 pulls and it should fire. When restarting after its warm you should be able to fire it up on run setting. If you choke it when warm it will flood, in that case hot start it. (Dropstart with trigger engaged.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom