Help me pick an evil black rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If budget is no matter, and im going for bad assedness straight from factory, then look into rock river ars. The operator line is as sick as they come from factory, other than that the saint is big bang for the buck!

Budget matters to me, but not so much that I'm looking for the cheapest. More that I'm looking for "best value." The saint is on the low end of my budget for a rifle and the LWRC is towards the high end. I just can't see myself EVER plunking down the money for a DD, LaRue, or Noveske. I'm sure they're better than the rifles in my budget, but are they 2-3 times better? I doubt it. About the only thing that I'll spend a ton of money on is a house or land.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tend to agree that the best approach is to buy one already built and then build a custom when I'm more familiar with the platform. Gotta walk before I run and all that. The Saint definitely has some nice features. The melonited barrel and mid length system sound really nice in theory. In practice, I don't know if I'll EVER shoot out a barrel and the AR doesn't have much recoil in a carbine length system to begin with. I've never shot an AR with a mid length system so it's difficult for me to understand how much softer the recoil is.

The harsher recoil from the shorter gas is a result of the BCG slamming harder to the rear of the buffer tube.
Mid and rifle length gas helps minimize damage to parts.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budget matters to me, but not so much that I'm looking for the cheapest. More that I'm looking for "best value." The saint is on the low end of my budget for a rifle and the LWRC is towards the high end. I just can't see myself EVER plunking down the money for a DD, LaRue, or Noveske. I'm sure they're better than the rifles in my budget, but are they 2-3 times better? I doubt it. About the only thing that I'll spend a ton of money on is a house or land.

with that statement get the lwrc, fine rifles imo, i only use mid or rifle length gas systems, and recoil is not in the equation cause i run adjustable gas blocks, mid and rifle length - in my thinking - give you that extra nano second or two before bolt operation begins allowing the brass to rebound from the expansion caused by firing. i may be wrong, but i'll stick to mid and rifle length regardless

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a DD on average is cheaper than a LWRC, Cant say about, Larue or Noveske, but I do know they are crazy $$$

Heres a few more points to consider for pistons VS DI
1. If you don't like to clean your carbine, get a piston
2. DI is still a piston. The BCG is the piston, and the pressure between the BCG and Bolt can cause breakage, especially in carbine length gas systems. You don't have that problem with piston carbines/rifles
3. 99% of all piston designs are all the same short stroke system, with only slight differences. and they don't break. But they are marginally heavier than a DI. Adams makes the lightest which is 5oz heavier than a standard Colt LE66920

Another issue. Steel cased ammo. If you plan to shoot steel cased ammo, get a chrome lined barrel. Cases wont get stuck as quick as with nitrided or non chrome line barrels. If you plan to stick with brass case ammo, any barrel will do

For shooting paper and coyotes, Id recommend a PSA Freedom upper and one of their lowers or a complete rifle. THey are inexpensive but there is nothing cheap about the parts. PSAs lower parts kits are made by FN. The nitrided barrels are made by FN and so are the Premium BCGs. You can get all of that for $6 to $700. They are a steal, and will take abuse.

If you want the LWRC, again, go for it. Awesome rifles and the CS is top notch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom