Help me pick my next purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to purchase?

• Total voters

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well not my purchase. But I just got engaged and the fiancee wants to buy me a new toy as a gift! It will hold sentimental value so I want something I know that I want to keep around forever. Limited it down to a few choices but can't decide beyond that. Below are the reasons I'm considering those in the poll. As a note, large caliber handguns, AR's, and center fire bolt guns I tend to look at as fun trade fodder after a few uses. If you select other post something you consider a must have.

- Ruger Single Six .22 - currently topping the list. Classic and you cant have too many .22's

- S&W 642 airweight - Need a good CCW and this seems like a time tested design. Only problem is I dont have a cc permit yet and I know when I get it I'll be trying pretty much any and everything under the sun until I figure out exactly what I'll carry. But hey, it's a 642. Perfect BUG.

- Marlin (or Winchester) 30-30 - Great all around gun and love the idea of a lever action in my collection.

- Henry Lever .22 - Just sweet

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I vote for the Marlin 30-30, but I wouldn't get a "new" one.

The older "real" Marlins are excellent rifles. I have two in 30-30, and a 39A in .22. They are hard to beat.

The Ruger Single Six is also a good choice. I like the convertible option of .22 LR and .22 Magnum.

I don't see the S&W 642 being a sentimental type gun, more utility, even though I am a big fan of S&W.

If you like the Henry .22, I suggest looking at a Marlin Golden 39A. Like the 336, the older ones are better. Excellent rifle!

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something I've wanted to do, is get a pair of Henry's, the Golden Boy and the Big Boy in .44. You know, so I have a .22 and a .44, that match. I think it would be cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom