Help me pick out a scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 5 years, I’m finally finishing up my .308 build. I need some glass. It’s going to be a Howa .308 heavy barreled action set in a MDT chassis. For a scope I have some preferences, but nothing too set in stone. I would like a 4-15x magnification, or something in that neighborhood. MOA/MOA, FFP, and an illuminated reticle would be nice. I was looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15x44 EBR4, but I’m open to options. What would you get? Brand preferences? Features you can’t live without? Max budget is $800 freedom dollars.
Thanks in advance!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new Strike Eagle is supposed to be very very nice, and is in that budget range. An Athlon Midas Tac, a used Ares can be well under that range, I think.

Bushnell Elite Tactical is in that range.
Burris XTRII, also.
Meopta Optika6 has good reviews, too.
Just saw a Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50 for 750, which is an excellent FFP scope for that price.

For me, I think overall the new 5-25 Strike Eagle FFP is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment in that pricerange, buying brand new.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
  • Athlon Midas Tac
  • Bushnell Match Pro (this is probably the best value currently)
  • SWFA SS 3-15
  • Meopta Optika 6
  • Burris XTRII (select models)
  • Strike Eagle 5-25 (similar glass to PSI g2, more travel, better parallax, wider FOV)
  • Lots of awesome used deals

Avoid BDC reticles like the plague, good on you for FFP, going mils wouldn't hurt if you end up shooting with guys that are all spotting in mils. If your budget is actually $800, spend $800. Nobody says, "Man I wish I would have cheaped out on my glass"

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two suggestions for the Strike eagle. Immediately I am noticing a 12mm difference in the objective size. That should help bunched in low light and at high magnification, correct?

I can get the viper PST for $719, and the strike eagle for $630ish. Is the strike eagle better? Or is it offering more nice features with slightly lesser quality glass?

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two suggestions for the Strike eagle. Immediately I am noticing a 12mm difference in the objective size. That should help bunched in low light and at high magnification, correct?

I can get the viper PST for $719, and the strike eagle for $630ish. Is the strike eagle better? Or is it offering more nice features with slightly lesser quality glass?

Generally speaking, a larger objective will gather more light. This allows you to use higher magnification longer (as available light diminishes) and makes image the image comparatively brighter when compared to scopes with smaller objectives at the same magnification.

The current reviews have the SE on par or at least close enough to the PST Gen II that I would get the SE over Gen II PST in order to get a 34mm tube, larger objective and the nearer parallax.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of current reviewers really love the new SE, and the glass seems to be on par with the PST Gen II, from what I've read. Again, no personal experience here, but if I'd not already bought something else, I think the SE would have been my choice.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Riton Mod 7 5-25x56 Illuminated MRAD can be had on clearance from 900ish to 300ish right now. They are good to go. Or I've got a Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 EFR model I'd let go of for 450.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Riton Mod 7 5-25x56 Illuminated MRAD can be had on clearance from 900ish to 300ish right now. They are good to go. Or I've got a Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 EFR model I'd let go of for 450.
I don't have a need for it, and I don't know if I ever will have a need for it, but that Riton deal sure is tempting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom