Help me plan the elk hunting trip of a lifetime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drive to Washington state and take ferry to Alaska, or ship your rifles to Alaska. This way, you also don't need a passport, if remember correctly. One thing to understand about Alaska you most have guide to hunt, it's state law. ( To many people have gotten lost, stuck in storms or have died )

If you decide on Alaska start get in shape!

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have read, as long as you follow the rules and declare everything, you’re good. Basic storage stuff, locks, not trying to bring in pistols with barrels shorter than 4” and keeping long guns limited to 18” or longer hunting rifles is a pretty safe bet. It sounds easier to transport firearms through Canada than it does getting them into California. Kinda ironic.
California, hmmm, didn't I just hear that's a providence of China now?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck brother hope you can put it together. i think the same thing a lot probably never happen for me although colorado might someday.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanna buy my propane tank? I was figuring that I would get a 300wm, due to ammo availability and the fact that I already stock 30cal projectiles for two different calibers.
That 300 WM will do the trick, I have a buddy here in Idaho who has bagged seven elk in the last ten years with a 6.5 by 55 Swede (in a Ruger) at ranges out to 380 yards and all but one was a one shot kill, even the little 243 will do the job if ya know how to shoot it. I hear Colorado is very expensive, along with Alaska, you might try northern Idaho, there is very good elk hunting up that way and it might be less expensive than CO or AK. Any way you go good luck.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Wittington Center in New Mexico, they have guide hunts on their property and they supply the tag.
I love the Whittington Center, I have fired several thousand rounds on the ranges over the many years I have been a member, there is lots of wildlife there. Landowner hunts between Cimmaron and Des Moines and south have been affordable options and lots of elk,some real nice bulls come out of the Dry Cimarron by Colorado state line and south around Canadian River drainage

Latest posts

Top Bottom