Help me plan the elk hunting trip of a lifetime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, in the next year or two I wanna check off at least one thing on my bucket list: shoot a big bull elk. I want to sit back and save up some cash, and go on a week long trip. I figure a guided hunt would be best, also going to have one of my best friends come along, it’s a bucket list thing for him as well. I have two possible options in my head:

one: go up to Colorado/Wyoming and get a guided hunt/whatever. this is appealing because it’s close and likely cheaper than option two. I spent 6 months working on the backside of the Rockies and absolutely love the area. My buddy also lives in Colorado, so definitely makes things easy.

option two: really make this a trip of a lifetime, and go to Alaska. I really want to go to Alaska and see the place. Elk season also overlaps Moose (also bucket list), Sitka deer, wolverine (another bucket list check), and wolf (yet another bucket list check) season if I time it right. I have also dreamed of making a road trip to Alaska, checking off another bucket list thing. The round trip drive would easily add 6 days to the trip, extending the cost and time needed, but I feel it would be worth it. I am planning on building an off-road teardrop camper trailer after I get done with this current moving/selling the house/remodeling situation that I will likely be taking with me, allowing for more storage and a place to sleep while on the road.

what do you guys think? Anyone done anything similar? Suggestions on reasonably priced outfitters or good places to go? Anyone hunted in Alaska?

What’s it like driving through Canada? Getting a dog/firearms through Canada? Bringing meat/carcasses back?

1FFEB23B-73DC-4FF4-A0D3-FCFF798E36E4.png

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that getting a firearm thru Canada can be a nightmare but I have never done it. I know hunters that have lost their rifles but I do not know the details or what went wrong. I have heard that the best way is have a local dealer ship it to a dealer in AK for pickup.

Sadly not like in the 70s and 80s where I knew guys that smuggled guns everywhere you can think of.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent you a PM regarding if you go the CO OTC route. While the AK trip sounds great, I've been more successful focusing on one animal unless their normal habitats all overlap. That would definitely check more things off your bucket list so if can afford the time and money, go for it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start by selling a propane tank and buying a 338 win mag from the classifieds. After that...???? Profit.
Wanna buy my propane tank? I was figuring that I would get a 300wm, due to ammo availability and the fact that I already stock 30cal projectiles for two different calibers.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that getting a firearm thru Canada can be a nightmare but I have never done it. I know hunters that have lost their rifles but I do not know the details or what went wrong. I have heard that the best way is have a local dealer ship it to a dealer in AK for pickup.

Sadly not like in the 70s and 80s where I knew guys that smuggled guns everywhere you can think of.
From what I have read, as long as you follow the rules and declare everything, you’re good. Basic storage stuff, locks, not trying to bring in pistols with barrels shorter than 4” and keeping long guns limited to 18” or longer hunting rifles is a pretty safe bet. It sounds easier to transport firearms through Canada than it does getting them into California. Kinda ironic.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well we are here to help you spend your money, so my vote, two cents worth, would be Alaska.

I’m like you and have always wanted to go there, hunt, camp remotely, etc. Go big and make great memories and unique trophies.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
On the elk, check tag availability and number of preference points needed to get you into the areas that hold big bulls like you're talking about. Colorado would be last on my list for elk regardless. AZ, MT, WY then NM

Moose in Alaska, I know someone who went with a reputable guide and killed a great bull, spent a crap load of cash and had the hunt of a life time.....I also know someone who went with a supposedly reputable guide, saw bulls at far distances and the guide didn't seem interested in going after any of them, spent a crap load of cash and was frustrated out of his mind. Research to infinity on the Alaska moose guides imo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom