Help on ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an add posted for WTB hunting rifles but, after looking and doing some thinking, I want to go with the AR first now. I really like the thought of the 7.62 (308), it fits me better, plus more know knockdown. I realize the price is considerably higher than the 300 mag I previously mentioned so...
I will say upfront, I know jack about ARs, so I have a few questions for you experts. What are good ones to look at? Is it ok to go with the kits or pay the extra and get the complete rifle? Also, if anyone has suggestions please let a noob know them, and if you have or know anyone who has any for sell, send me a pm please!
Thank you!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a big fan of building your own. 1000%. It is actually a lot easier than you think, and you will probably save money overall, as you'll likely end up like the rest of us - customizing it and taking off a ton of parts you didn't need to replace them, thus spending more money in the longrun.

They can be built in an hour (less, really) by someone who is familiar with them from pins and springs to complete functional rifle.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going 308, then that’s AR10 based. Not everything AR10 is compatible.

What he said - be sure you’re getting parts that will be compatible if you build an AR-10. Such as, DPMS spec.

Personally, I’d be looking more closely at a M1A if I were getting into a semi-auto 7.62mm rifle. More expensive, perhaps, but IMHO worth it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's true, there are several patterns of AR10-style .308 designs. Something I have not personally built or done much research on, TBH.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS is more common platform, just stay with a single manufacturer. I like the Aero Precision M5E1 platform with a match grade Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel.

If you are going to use one for hunting, and you have misfire. There is not a way of ejecting a round and loading another without a considerable amount of noise. By the time you get it done, you have scared a deer away. With a bolt action rifle you can work the bolt without scaring a deer.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are set on the AR platform for your 308, I would suggest checking out the Ruger and Smith & Wesson versions.

For non-AR platforms, I would look at the FN-Fal and the M1A.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely build it. Even if it was the same cost I'd say build it - that way when you need to work on it or want to upgrade/swap out parts you know how (read: when you realize you want to build a couple more, now you know how). An armorer's wrench and vice block should be purchased with anybody's first AR (just make sure you get the right ones if you're building AR-10).

I'll also give the recommendation for the Aero M5E1, even if you just do the handguard/upper combo and pick whatever lower you want to go with. Lots of great options out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom