Help on the colt Gold Cup 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With the look of what I can see in pictures, $650 tops is what I would pay. Problem is, that although it is a Colt and a Gold Cup Trophy. Today there are so many guns that run as well or better than them (that have sat in glove boxes, lakes and streams) for about 0-150 bucks more... Just the thoughts of Dave.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He got it for peanuts. Guy put it on pawn and paid interest several times over and it's been in his safe for a while. Guy hasn't been by in a few months and it's his now. I figure he's made more than the pawn and event then not have more than 175 to 200 and that's probably high.
He said he was looking on the internet for value and I told him that the internet is full of crap as far as the VALUE of guns to a buyer, unless it's damn rare.
Told him I'd think about a price and get back to him tomorrow.
Thanks for the info guys and if you have an idea of what you'd pay, let me know. Might be fun to make a project out of it. Has a great feel to it.
No box or papers with it and only a single mag.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's stainless I'd go up to $650 or $700. It IS a Colt so keep that in mind. It's not like it's some budget RIA or a crap clone copy. If it's Blue I'd deduct the price of a complete hot blue refinish by a reputable shop like Ford's, Metaloy, etc. It's a shooter if I'm buying it, they ain't exactly rare so the box isn't an issue and mags are literally everywhere.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's stainless I'd go up to $650 or $700. It IS a Colt so keep that in mind. It's not like it's some budget RIA or a crap clone copy. If it's Blue I'd deduct the price of a complete hot blue refinish by a reputable shop like Ford's, Metaloy, etc. It's a shooter if I'm buying it, they ain't exactly rare so the box isn't an issue and mags are literally everywhere.
Not blued but the polish steel is in good condition. Has that matt effect on top where some rust it but could be cleaned quickly. Just hasn't been cleaned in.....maybe never. Easy peasy to have it shining like a new penny. Filthy inside the chamber but rifling is good so the barrel not shot out. Lots of carbon on the ramp and I'd just love to soak it with Ballistol.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did Colt change out the nice, wide Gold Cup trigger for the three hole Videcki style? :scratch:

I thought all Gold Cups had the nice, wide, fat trigger that is so comfy on the finger. :ugh2:

And it looks like the top rib on the slide is gone too. :anyone:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@steelfingers - My one concern I cannot get over is the serial number. It does not come up on the Colt site, that happens many times though. The Serial number is not clean, it is VERY bold and the numbers look a bit like someone may have re-etched them in there. I am a paranoid guy when something like that stands out to me. Sorry, just my thing.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the recent Gold Cups look like this.... only reason I ever noticed was they dropped the goofy duck bill beavertail and went with an honest one. Several years too late.

But....looks like a stock gun to me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/693022939

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/674192330

blog.cheaperthandirt.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_01_colt_gold_cup_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom