Help on which 10mm or if a 10mm is worth buying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about ammo... Readily available? Expensive?
I have no clue. :drunk2:

I rarely buy 10MM at a LGS or big box place, I get it online, usually LAX ammo or Target Sports, and I like Sellier and Bellot 180 Gr FMJ for the range for $13.49 a box, my last order. Aboiut the same as .45 ACP.

If your not trying to hunt with it, unless you buy premium ammo like Double Tap, Cor Bon or Buffalo Bore the ballistics are not much more impressive than a regular .40 S&W. I've owned two, a Glock 29 and S&W 1076, and I was not impressed with either. I think its one of those ''in style'' rounds today. It was pretty much extinct 5 years ago and now its making a comeback. There even chambering revolvers like the Super Redhawk for it now, as hunting round its a poor second to a .41 magnum and not near what a .44 magnum or .45 Colt is. If you want real power in semi auto check out the .460 Rowland, pretty much a .44 Mag in a semi auto.

You must have been using the Remington, PPU, Armscor, or Federal ammo maybe, my experience with them is yes, they are way underpowered and too watered down to get the real 10MM experience. In fact, a lot of the stuff you buy in a big box store is underpowered, that's why I buy my 10 MM ammo online (and prices are better online too). I check ballistics tables before buying new ammo often, I try to stick with 10MM FMJ that is pushing at least 550 - 650 ft lbs for range ammo (Sig FMJ 180 gr runs 624 ft lbs for example) I like Sellier and Bellot or Mag Tech 180 gr FMJ at just under 600 Ft lbs for the range and at $13.00 - $15.00 per 50, and I use the Underwood 180 Gr Gold Dots for defense at 677 ft lbs. I do have some Underwood 135 Gr stuff that runs FAST and hits at about 770 ft lbs but man; I just wanna shoot the bad guy, not vaporize him!

Now you can shoot regular old .40 S&W from a 10MM Glock, but why? A few years ago, people did it to save money for practice; but today, 10MM is not much more than .40 if at all. (NOTE: DO THIS ONLY from a Glock., DO NOT do this from any other type of gun; it's not because Glocks are better, it's because of the way the gun is built from a design standpoint. Google it if you want to know more...)

I bought a 10MM cause I like the power, and I bought a Gen 4 Glock 29 cause I carry it. I think it is one of the most versatile pistols there is. I can carry it, put a longer after market barrel in for hunting, use the G20 mags for 15 + 1 of 10MM whoop ass, or load it with the Underwood Nuke stuff and be ready for just about anything I might need to shoot. The site
www.Ballistics101.com has a very convenient table you can use, just plug in grains and velocity and it will tell you the output. I'm careful when buying 10MM for the first time; I always check to make sure I'm buying a decently powered load. The S&B 180 FMJ is a lot more than your old standard .40 S&W. S&B 180 is a very popular range round among the 10MM crowd. Mag Tech is the same; in fact, I think Mag Tech bought S&B not long ago...anyway, it's plenty powerful and good enough for the range.

I think it's the Norwegian or maybe Finnish Ski Patrol that issues Glock 20's to their people for Polar Bear Defense. I trust my G29 loaded up with the hot stuff (I prefer Underwood) to stop anything in the lower 48, except maybe a huge angry Momma Grizzly who comes up on me in the woods as I am trying to kidnap one of her squalling cubs and I don't see myself in that situation any time soon.

So, IMO, a 10MM pistol is a heck of a gun; I like the G29, but if I wasn't going to carry it so often, I might go with the G20 or even get the G40 if all you want to do is hunt. There are many good 10MM guns out there, Ruger even makes a nice one now in the 1911 platform too. One last thing, check YouTube videos of a Glock firing hot 10MM rounds and see how the frame's flex helps control recoil and greet you back on the front sight.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rarely buy 10MM at a LGS or big box place, I get it online, usually LAX ammo or Target Sports, and I like Sellier and Bellot 180 Gr FMJ for the range for $13.49 a box, my last order. Aboiut the same as .45 ACP.

You must have been using the Remington, PPU, Armscor, or Federal ammo maybe, my experience with them is yes, they are way underpowered and too watered down to get the real 10MM experience. In fact, a lot of the stuff you buy in a big box store is underpowered, that's why I buy my 10 MM ammo online (and prices are better online too). I check ballistics tables before buying new ammo often, I try to stick with 10MM FMJ that is pushing at least 550 - 650 ft lbs for range ammo (Sig FMJ 180 gr runs 624 ft lbs for example) I like Sellier and Bellot or Mag Tech 180 gr FMJ at just under 600 Ft lbs for the range and at $13.00 - $15.00 per 50, and I use the Underwood 180 Gr Gold Dots for defense at 677 ft lbs. I do have some Underwood 135 Gr stuff that runs FAST and hits at about 770 ft lbs but man; I just wanna shoot the bad guy, not vaporize him!

Now you can shoot regular old .40 S&W from a 10MM Glock, but why? A few years ago, people did it to save money for practice; but today, 10MM is not much more than .40 if at all. (NOTE: DO THIS ONLY from a Glock., DO NOT do this from any other type of gun; it's not because Glocks are better, it's because of the way the gun is built from a design standpoint. Google it if you want to know more...)

I bought a 10MM cause I like the power, and I bought a Gen 4 Glock 29 cause I carry it. I think it is one of the most versatile pistols there is. I can carry it, put a longer after market barrel in for hunting, use the G20 mags for 15 + 1 of 10MM whoop ass, or load it with the Underwood Nuke stuff and be ready for just about anything I might need to shoot. The site
www.Ballistics101.com has a very convenient table you can use, just plug in grains and velocity and it will tell you the output. I'm careful when buying 10MM for the first time; I always check to make sure I'm buying a decently powered load. The S&B 180 FMJ is a lot more than your old standard .40 S&W. S&B 180 is a very popular range round among the 10MM crowd. Mag Tech is the same; in fact, I think Mag Tech bought S&B not long ago...anyway, it's plenty powerful and good enough for the range.

I think it's the Norwegian or maybe Finnish Ski Patrol that issues Glock 20's to their people for Polar Bear Defense. I trust my G29 loaded up with the hot stuff (I prefer Underwood) to stop anything in the lower 48, except maybe a huge angry Momma Grizzly who comes up on me in the woods as I am trying to kidnap one of her squalling cubs and I don't see myself in that situation any time soon.

So, IMO, a 10MM pistol is a heck of a gun; I like the G29, but if I wasn't going to carry it so often, I might go with the G20 or even get the G40 if all you want to do is hunt. There are many good 10MM guns out there, Ruger even makes a nice one now in the 1911 platform too. One last thing, check YouTube videos of a Glock firing hot 10MM rounds and see how the frame's flex helps control recoil and greet you back on the front sight.
Your's ran great. Maybe the grip work you did, or the gun, but the recoil was very nice. Easy to get back on target plus, the round just looks COOOOOL

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a number of 10mm pistols. Most of the S&W10xx line (except the 1046). S&W 610, a Dan Wesson PM7. I've shot a Glock 20. I currently only own one, a Sig P220 SAO.
Never tried a Tanfoglio Witness or even seen a Bren 10. Or shot a high end custom 1911.
The P220 is the easiest to shoot, but that's because it's so massive. A ton o' gun.
In a 1911 there are several Rock Island Armory 1911s in 10mm. If you just want to have one to shoot without a lot of investment that might be worth considering. Or step up a bit - Ruger makes the SR1911 in 10mm (if you can find one) and it has the series 70 trigger. The Ruger GP100 also comes in 10mm if you want a revolver.
Loved the S&W 10xx pistols, but prices have gone way up lately and they don't make the mags anymore. I sold S&W 10xx pistols with every financial crisis and wish I'd never sold any. But I didn't lose money on any of them.

So if I wanted just one I'd go with the Ruger SR1911 or a Glock 40 and try to make it work for me. I have a difficult time with Glocks though for no reason I can determine.

The S&B 180 gr FMJ is excellent practice ammo and pretty reasonably priced. SIG makes pretty good 10mm ammo as well. And there is Underwood, Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap is you want real 10mm loads. Winchester Silvertips are nice, but I haven't seen a box of those for quite a while. Georgia Arms Canned Heat is not full powered but otherwise is OK.

I really wish there was a reasonably priced 10mm carbine that was gas operated, not a blowback action.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You see it more and more but some places don't carry it, so that's another issue.
I bought one for hunting (Glock20) and I reload so No big deal adding dies and a turret to load!! But SGammo has a decent variety , and Academy sells it!
10 mm seems more of a purpose driven round to my thinking, SD is one and hunting the other!! Just to take to the range and shoot the heck out of one, not so much . Just my 2 pennies !! Recoils is a little stout for plinking and I see no reason for down loading for this pistol when I have nines and 45's that are just a pleasure to shoot!!

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a few pics
2f623f29e5ca88866e05bf438bf6e386.jpg
2c1e133030fa7e34dc0531b612ab77b9.jpg
2f8d6fc512b5f20f4bbe5d80145009a3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@steelfingers , my friend if you can get your hands on a 1911 in 38 Super, you will be a convert for life. I assure you.

Yea !! Keep bringing up the 38 supers!! I shot Sirjimmy's at the MNS and now I have my next drool item i will obsess over until I find one LOL!! Jimmy's was a beaut and handled perfect and I am sure he had some extra cleaning to do after all that drooling I did LOL:cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom