Help on which 10mm or if a 10mm is worth buying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
www.imfdb.org_images_8_8e_S_26W_Model_610_Revolver.jpg

The S&W model 610, pictured above in a 6" barrel, is a six-shot stainless steel N-frame chambered in 10mm Automatic. Because the 10mm is a rimless round, like the 45 ACP, moon clips are needed to extract the rounds. It is a heavy gun and was made from 1990 to 1992, and briefly once more starting in 1998. Mine, a 5" barrel, is one of the earlier specimens, and I have had it for almost 30 years.

Loading the moon clips was a big pain in the butt, which is one reason that I have not shot this gun for at least eight years. I don't remember shooting it since I moved to Oklahoma.and that was in 20008. Yesterday, I took delivery of a device that makes loading the clips much easier. It is the BMT Equipped loader. I already had one for my S&W models 625 and 22. If I can find it, I'll post a link to the thread.

This morning, I put 12 rounds through it and then a combination of the cold and the fact that I had no protection on my finger made me stop. Then after I went to town and got lunch and a few groceries I put a bandaid on my finger to pad it and put 60 more downrange. The reason for the bandaid was because the trigger's edge was quite sharp and the recoil would form a very nice blister .

Recoil was heavy, although not really excessive., The aftermarket Pachmayr grips I put on it really helped here, although I feel that this is one gun where Hogue Monogrips would help. Of the 72 rounds I shot today, all but six were RAM 155 grain JHP. The remaining six were Hornady 180 grain FMJ.

Accuracy in my hands was very acceptable and all shots were rapid DA at very close range. The action's being very smooth here helped a great deal.

Now, is this gun suitable for concealed carry? Unless you're a fairly big guy like me, I'd have to say 'no'. It is very good for hunting, home defense, target shooting and general plinking, but it is a huge, heavy gun. Please note the full-length underlug in the picture above. That, plus the fact that there is less metal removed means more weight, which is very noticeable.

But I had fun today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom