Help purchasing a lap top

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I bought a new 13 inch MacBook Pro in December that I hardly ever use. PM me and we can talk about what kind of a deal I could make for a student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it’s expensive but it will last years and still run great. Buy an Apple Mac book. You won’t be sorry I guarantee. I wouldn’t ever use anything else.

Ha! Until your kid takes his toy wooden sword to the monitor...ask me how I know LOL.

Until that happened, ours was a great computer. My wife used it through nursing school. She had to use the open source microsoft office alternatives for proper interface with her college, but other than that it worked great.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And therein lies the problem with mac. If you have to use a particular program on a particular network the may be connectivity issues. Networks are generally geared towards a windows environment sadly that also kills off chromebooks. Even using linux will be a pain unless you know what you are doing. So there you have two choices if you don't want windows. Wait till you know it will work or buy and hope it will.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! Until your kid takes his toy wooden sword to the monitor...ask me how I know LOL.

Until that happened, ours was a great computer. My wife used it through nursing school. She had to use the open source microsoft office alternatives for proper interface with her college, but other than that it worked great.
Yikes!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise from everyone.
I went out yesterday and got an HP with 12 GB memory and 256 GB SSD with the 8th generation i5 Processor.
Yea it had windows Home S mode but you can go into the microsoft store and download an app and remove S mode for free.

Easy to do and this thing is working great so far.
I got it New from Best Buy for $499 + Tax.
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/laptops/product-details/29771125

Thanks for all your input. I knew nothing of drive types or different windows versions. I got educated.

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise from everyone.
I went out yesterday and got an HP with 12 GB memory and 256 GB SSD with the 8th generation i5 Processor.
Yea it had windows Home S mode but you can go into the microsoft store and download an app and remove S mode for free.

Easy to do and this thing is working great so far.
I got it New from Best Buy for $499 + Tax.
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/laptops/product-details/29771125

Thanks for all your input. I knew nothing of drive types or different windows versions. I got educated.

Glad you found a machine that will serve her well for many years. I have an HP DV5030Z that is still running good after 13 years. My wife still uses it for her cross stitch programs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom