Help purchasing a lap top

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get an Apple, if you want to spend the money for it. I think the operating system is better than Windows. Windows has
so much junk with it. I have both but like the Apple better than the Windows laptop.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last few laptops have been HP business class laptops off of business leases. They are refurbished and they're built for heavy use--and you can buy a docking station for them so they will act like a desktop at home but you can carry them with you when you travel. The best part--they are usually at about 50-75% off list price. My last computer was about $300!

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely SSD is the way to go. If you NEED any additional storage they have thumb drives now that are YUUUUGE and external storage is cheap.

I have a Surface Pro 6 I got for work stuff and I cannot praise it highly enough. Thin, light, fast, powerful, touchscreen works great, battery life is fabulous as well.

The Surface isn't cheap, I was over $1k all in with extended warranty and such, but it paid for itself in productivity for me at work in NO time.

Lots of more budget options out there, too, though.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m close to finishing up my Master’s degree, using an inexpensive HP laptop. I spent less than $400 on it a year and a half ago, including wireless mouse, carrying case and a thumb drive.

All it needs to be able to do is access the Internet and run the full suite of Microsoft office products. Personal computing tech has reached the point that every product out there does those basic functions very well. If all she needs it for is schoolwork, there’s no need to spend more than $500.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got more information. she said the classes last 1 year and the laptop needs to last that long.
Things she does not need : touch screen, backlit key board.

She said the cd dvd would be nice as she can store stuff on that or transfer.

She said used would be fine if it would last. and wanted a large screen not some 11" little thing.

I have been looking and so far found this.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-...VjK_ICh0xtQRPEAYYBCABEgJ3VPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two computers with hybrid drives, one over a year old and the other probably 3+ years old, and haven't had any trouble with either. Not a bad compromise between SSD and more storage, at lower cost.

You can get a USB external CD/DVD burner for as little as $30 or so, I wouldn't be too concerned about whether it has a built in optical drive myself.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, they're cheap. And given that the laptop is usually thinner without it being built in, there probably isn't much difference overall in weight/size taken up. And you have the option of taking it or leaving it, if you want to minimize size and weight, and if it breaks or gets lost it's easy enough to get a replacement. I keep one in my laptop bag all the time.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@TwoForFlinching check this thread the 3rd or 4th post in I talk about the machine I built in Jan 2012 that I am on right now was built with 128gb SDD. Its 7.5 years old and now that drive has 3240 Power on hours still with 93% life. SSDs are the only way to go.
I am back to buyin Lenovo but that’s because they kept the red knob thing of a mouse, can’t stand the touch pad

Latest posts

Top Bottom