Help settle a debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that is interesting. I was not aware of that presumption.

This will likely be my policy as well. I don't want to have to use deadly force unless I absolutely have to.

Me either. Just because you can shoot some doped up teen-ager who is trying break into your house to steal crap he can sell to buy dope, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree... I wish I didn't have to. But, by giving a "warning", you may be giving up your advantage and it may cost you. I probably would give some kind of warning, but, for instance, if I clearly see a weapon in someone's hand when they have entered my home, I think a warning is a bad idea - you don't know if they're going to immediately dive to one side, duck, drop to the floor, or just rapidly turn and shoot you. And you gave them the opportunity. Personally, in that situation, I have no intention of giving up advantage for the sake of "fairness" or some other concept.

Just a thought.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No warnings here, verbal or otherwise.

Exactly. Someone crashing my door down isn't going to get a warning. They have agreed with the fact I can and will shoot them before they ever got into my home by violating a law they should be aware of previously.
That makes them a willing accomplice in their demise.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. Someone crashing my door down isn't going to get a warning. They have agreed with the fact I can and will shoot them before they ever got into my home by violating a law they should be aware of previously.
That makes them a willing accomplice in their demise.

Yeah... I'm kinda thinking most people know it's illegal to enter someone else's residence without their consent. And the very old or very young who may not know, aren't going to make it past the locked doors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm kinda thinking most people know it's illegal to enter someone else's residence without their consent. And the very old or very young who may not know, aren't going to make it past the locked doors.
I do have to offer an example of why I didn't one time and posted it previously.
When the current wife and I got married 30 years ago, my sons and I moved into her house, renting mine.
She had a full privacy fence and doggy doors leading to the outside.
I started missing tools from the garage, and it always happened when we were all gone, so my kids were not suspect.
I figured it had to be one of the neighborhood kids(in a good neighborhood) as an adult would have a tough time getting in through those doggy doors, so I set traps every night when we were gone with tape and threads around the yard to see what direction he was coming from over the fence, and had one of the old time trail timers that used a thread across a trail with a digital clock. When the thread was pulled, it stopped the clock giving a time.
The next weekend after getting some intel, I waited in the garage until midnight with the lights off. When I heard someone wiggling through the doggy door into the garage, I flipped on the light, and he was looking down the barrel of a .45.
He instantly pee'd all over himself and started crying. Young teen that was selling to the local pawn shop for money.
These days and times, kids his age are possibly armed. Back in those times, things were different.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes to the taking of a life, I would hope I would approach the situation from the aspect of “do I have to do this??” Rather than “can I legally do this?”
My view on the current laws are that they protect honest everyday folk that may not have competent trained skills (like many of us here do) from an overzealous or agendaed Justice system.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it comes to the taking of a life, I would hope I would approach the situation from the aspect of “do I have to do this??” Rather than “can I legally do this?”
That's a correct statement that any right minded person should ask themselves.
But the first question they NEED to know is "can I legally do this".
In the past, the laws in Oklahoma were very gray and at times left to the discretion of the local DA to enforce depending on his political views, and personal leanings against self defense.
We all know several DA's that do not like guns in the hands of non LEO, and would tend to favor that leaning in an opinion to procecute or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom