Help settle a debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, its "Officer that person tried to kill me, and I was in fear of my life so I had to shoot him", and the STFU until your lawyer tells you to open it.
I prefer "I was afraid for my life." Joe Critter pulls a gun on you, demands your wallet. You've been mugged, you have a gun pointed at you, but he hasn't actually tried to kill you. A witness--or, worse yet, a videotape--to show him threatening, but not trying, now have you making a false statement to the officer.

"Officer, I was in fear for my life." Ask for medical care if you think you need it (which you do: if nothing else, there are things audiologists can do to preserve your hearing if action is taken within 24 hours of exposure to loud noise, and I'll bet you weren't wearing earpro), and ask for your lawyer. Then, shut the hell up!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My thought is that if they are trying to enter - key being they haven't yet - I will give a warning. I'd much rather they not break in in the first place. Plus, identifying the target, and what's behind it, will be more difficult.

Once they are in, the only warning I plan on giving is a tac light coming on for long enough to identify them before the flash.

Quick scenario on why I decided to ALWAYS use a tactical light inside:

Good friend of mine heard something go *bump* in the night. He grabs his gun, and goes to investigate the noise in the living room. He had the gun aimed at the intruder before he turned a light on and realized it was his daughter sleep walking. He told me that was a rude awakening to the fact his lack of household plan needed to change right away.

I've done what I can to deter entry and alert myself if entry is made: I have an alarm and locked doors. If someone does come in, I want to continue the home court advantage with a bright light to give me time to make sure I need to shoot before I do.

Short version, I *plan* on doing everything possible to avoid shooting someone. Giving a verbal warning isn't necessarily part of that plan.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thought is that if they are trying to enter - key being they haven't yet - I will give a warning. I'd much rather they not break in in the first place. Plus, identifying the target, and what's behind it, will be more difficult.

Once they are in, the only warning I plan on giving is a tac light coming on for long enough to identify them before the flash.

Quick scenario on why I decided to ALWAYS use a tactical light inside:

Good friend of mine heard something go *bump* in the night. He grabs his gun, and goes to investigate the noise in the living room. He had the gun aimed at the intruder before he turned a light on and realized it was his daughter sleep walking. He told me that was a rude awakening to the fact his lack of household plan needed to change right away.

I've done what I can to deter entry and alert myself if entry is made: I have an alarm and locked doors. If someone does come in, I want to continue the home court advantage with a bright light to give me time to make sure I need to shoot before I do.

Short version, I *plan* on doing everything possible to avoid shooting someone. Giving a verbal warning isn't necessarily part of that plan.
Police are required to give a verbal warning in many circumstances (not in the case of an active shooter, for example) but civilians are not. I can't imagine giving up the element of surprise inside my home.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Police are required to give a verbal warning in many circumstances (not in the case of an active shooter, for example) but civilians are not. I can't imagine giving up the element of surprise inside my home.
Just for the record, LEO are civilians too.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom