Help settle a debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Police are required to give a verbal warning in many circumstances (not in the case of an active shooter, for example) but civilians are not. I can't imagine giving up the element of surprise inside my home.

Exactly my point. I have no intention of giving a warning inside. I don't say anything 100% because I'm sure there's a scenario where I would give warning.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uhhh........you might want to look up the dictionary definition of civilian. It is one who is not a member of the military police or (in some cases) fire fighting services.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer "I was afraid for my life." Joe Critter pulls a gun on you, demands your wallet. You've been mugged, you have a gun pointed at you, but he hasn't actually tried to kill you. A witness--or, worse yet, a videotape--to show him threatening, but not trying, now have you making a false statement to the officer.

"Officer, I was in fear for my life." Ask for medical care if you think you need it (which you do: if nothing else, there are things audiologists can do to preserve your hearing if action is taken within 24 hours of exposure to loud noise, and I'll bet you weren't wearing earpro), and ask for your lawyer. Then, shut the hell up!

If Joe Critter pulls a gun on you and you are not afraid for your life you are an idiot!! And if a court of law tells me my life is not in danger, then something is dead wrong!!! School me if I am just thinking crazy here but as soon as that gun is skinned the BG is threatening your life.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any uninvited intruder in my house, when we are/were sleeping; I absolutely have to use deadly force. They are not there to do good.

Agreed! I figure they`re not here in the wee hours of the night for my riviting conversational skills, they`ll have exactly the amount of time it takes me to rake the slide to unass the area!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Joe Critter pulls a gun on you and you are not afraid for your life you are an idiot!! And if a court of law tells me my life is not in danger, then something is dead wrong!!! School me if I am just thinking crazy here but as soon as that gun is skinned the BG is threatening your life.

This goes contrary to the moronic viewpoint of states that have laws stating you have a duty to retreat before you can legally defend yourself. Someone pulling a weapon and/or threatening physical harm to you isn't enough - not until they actually kill you, whereupon you would have been within your rights to defend yourself.

:puppet2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had lights coming up our driveway tonight way after dark this evening. That never happens unless someone is lost or up to no good.
We have no curtains in our home as we are very isolated in the country , so I turned off the lights inside, turned on the lights outside with exception of the one out the back door, telling the wife to go to the back room.
I slipped out the back with a pistol and saw a young lady walking toward the front. It was obvious she wasn't armed, so went back in, and answered the front door. It was the neighbor's daughter a mile south that had cows out and saw them headed up our road. They were grazing peacefully in what was left of our garden.
Had a nice chat and exchanged cell #'s and the wife's facebook page so they could call us the next time and avoid the wondering who was coming up the road. Our driveway is 3/10 mile long and 129' in elevation from the entrance to where the house is with two no trespassing signs. Pretty spooky.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My concern is in my profession I've had multiple occasions where I was told Mrs xyz left back/ garage door unlocked for you no one will be home go on in and take care of problem, only Mrs xyz didn't tell Mr xyz I was coming and he or a teen child came home early / sick etc. And yes I have had guns pointed at me before I could indentify myself.
I learned a long time ago to always knock at front door and yell loudly my name and business before and during entry. But I can see how an innocent person could get shot by a shoot first no warning policy

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's scary @saddlebum, damn. I'd want to be super super careful in those situations. People just don't think sometimes... of course, it would never even cross my mind to leave my home or garage open and unlocked, either.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This goes contrary to the moronic viewpoint of states that have laws stating you have a duty to retreat before you can legally defend yourself. Someone pulling a weapon and/or threatening physical harm to you isn't enough - not until they actually kill you, whereupon you would have been within your rights to defend yourself.

:puppet2:

Glad Oklahoma is not one of those!!! Just wrapping your head around that line of thinking just goes completely against common sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom