Help! Talk me out of getting into .308!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Is this in an AR and weather or not what barrel length.

I think the OP was wanting AR platform and I would think 20" barrel length for me would be max in that platform if I was having to carry it very much and much prefer 18"

I just love the shorter barrels for a wider accuracy node.

Would also be nice to know what distance is this really going to be used for.
I have a couple of each (gas guns). My favorite is a 260 Rem running 130 grBerger tac hybrids at around 2720ish from an 18" barrel. It'll kill pretty much any critter from 25m to 1100m but is great for 500m and in. Functions in a gas gun like just like a 308 and isn't finicky like 6.5CM.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this in an AR and weather or not what barrel length.

I think the OP was wanting AR platform and I would think 20" barrel length for me would be max in that platform if I was having to carry it very much and much prefer 18"

I just love the shorter barrels for a wider accuracy node.

Would also be nice to know what distance is this really going to be used for.
My apologies, it’s for a 24” bolt gun.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fantasies of long range target shooting and standing on one mountain top and taking game on another mountain top are long gone.

I'm just considering options for dropping critters within a few hundred yards and I prefer a semi auto platform if shooting at multiple hogs.

.308 all day man. Literally the best choice out there.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just considering options for dropping critters within a few hundred yards and I prefer a semi auto platform if shooting at multiple hogs.
I'd look at either .308 or 260 Rem. Both function in gas guns without issue. 260 is a little nicer shooting and more precise. If you're budget minded and not looking for a sub1/2 MOA gun, then 308 would be it, I think. It would definitely be the cartridge for a first AR10/SR308 platform...it's easier to get them running like a Singer.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fantasies of long range target shooting and standing on one mountain top and taking game on another mountain top are long gone.

Cmon man, lie down on the mountain, choose a rock on the other mountain and try to shoot it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The real easy answer is this:

Get the .308 AR. That way you can enjoy the feeling of knowing that both of your testicles have fully dropped, while the Creedmoor crowd is still curiously looking at themselves naked in a mirror.

.308 wins on ammo prices, 0-250 energy, and cheaper component availability (for now).

The trade-off is that the .308 will have a little more recoil...so if you're dainty, then perhaps the CM. Plus the CM will perform better at longer ranges if your primarily target shooting.

I do in fact, also own a 6.5CM.
O4L is quite dainty. It’s his first, last, and middle name.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t kept up with this thread, but from a quick read through, what I’m seeing here is that the guys that fancy themselves “long range shooters” prefer 6.5 CM and the folks living in the real world like 308. Am I caught up now?!? :anyone:
:lmfao:
I prefer options! Been a .30 cal shooter since 1982 on deer. 6.5CM since winning a bolt gun last year at a DU banquet. Both drop a deer equally. Light and fast is my mantra. The 108 grain Lapua Scenar in the CM bullet took down a near B&C buck this deer season.
Prints nicely on paper too at close ranges. Have yet to take it past 300 though.
The AR-15 platform in .243WSSM will always be my go-to rifle though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cmon man, lie down on the mountain, choose a rock on the other mountain and try to shoot it.
I'll be doing that shortly. Found some BLM land with some white soft rock called perlite that will definitely give a signature when hit.
.223 will be interesting to see at around 500 yards plus. It could turn out to be a fun day.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be doing that shortly. Found some BLM land with some white soft rock called perlite that will definitely give a signature when hit.
.223 will be interesting to see at around 500 yards plus. It could turn out to be a fun day.
That sounds like fun. Years ago when I shot a 7mm mag I would blow up balloons and tie them up with a 2’ string and walk off several hundred yards and try to hit them as they moved in the wind. The trick was getting to your shooting spot before the balloons bounced around and popped themselves. That was good times back then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom