Help! Talk me out of getting into .308!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Helping yet?
1674271780154.png

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
308 ammo is abundant even when ammo is in high demand. It's one of the first calibers to make it back on the shelf and like others have mentioned, the load/bullet combos are almost endless. I personally like it because you can get factory match ammo cheaper than any other caliber except 223. Pre pandemic, Federal gold medal was $18/box.

I think everyone should have at least one 308 in the safe.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An AR feels awkward when I try and hold on something farther than 150 yards.
I can hold a bolt gun well and chalk that up to the dropped stock and the scope not being very high above the bore centerline.

So when you say you want one to reach game farther than the 300 BO I would ask can you hold one steady at long distances better than you can a bolt gun.

I reload and I have seen the brass from an AR and most of the time it is lost in the weeds.
I shot a scoped AR 10 in .308 seeing if it would shoot tight groups and 200 yards is all I wanted to try and hold steady at.
It grouped great but it took a long time for me to steady it before I pulled the trigger.

I suppose a bipod would sweeten things if you can hunt with one of those on the rifle and use it for how you hunt.

I love my .308 bolt gun not my 6.5 Creedmoor though. It is ok but not what I thought it would be.
I like my 6.5x55 much better.
Not AR's though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say do it. If you reload, a 308 will use the same bullets as a 30-30, 300bo, 300wm, and others. There’s an entire plethora of options and recipes for making some interesting loads to take care of anything you could want with any of those calibers too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom