Help w/ AR-15 Build List $1200 Budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the OP mention what this rifle will be used for?

Casual plinking?
Hard use in training/duty environment?
Safe queen that gets fired a couple times a year?

Mission drives equipment. Any recommendations without considering intended use would be incomplete.

Home defense and plinking, that’s it.

Larue is a solid choice, personally if your not dead set on matching upper and lower, buy their upper and mbt trigger and build a lower yourself and you can likely save a little. That said 800 for an upper you could also look at bcm, sionics, or sons of liberty gun works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You sniffed that one out. I would strongly prefer matching upper and lower, it would bug me for some unexplainable reason if it wasn’t.

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it true that the Larue receiver and handguard proprietary so you can’t swap out handguards? I was definitely wanting to keep this gun for a long time and mod it as my AR sensibilities evolve.

If it is proprietary then should I pivot to BCM? Are BCM and LaRue on the same quality level?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to break the old laptop out for this one:

From buying my first AR only to realize it was a "Frankenbuild" with quality parts to my second factory gun at the Tinker Exchange I think I can share some information on this topic.

My first was a Noveske with a Troy hand guard that I didn't love and wanted to go back completely Noveske rifle, which resulted in countless hours scouring the internets for those high-dollar parts, successfully and at a prime penny out of my pocket and boxes arriving at my house that I had to "tap dance" for, lol (part of the fun, I think). The 2nd was an AR that I have still never fired but felt like I needed a factory gun just in case I ever needed it and had to count on it, S&W M/P-15T with a barrel that sold it. Still sitting in the box with lots of little accessories that come off and on with ease, because I happen to have bought way too many while thinking this was pretty simple mechanics and I should build my own!

I could go on and on about what I bought, what I passed up and regretted but I won't. I will share with everyone that building an AR is relatively easy with the proper tools and education from the innerwebs/YouTube but it will never hold the value a factory rifle will. It might be better but in the long run your knowledge of what makes any AR tick will be of benefit to you on the range and in your mind, knowing why something didn't work or worked better the next time with a little tweaking here and there.

Whichever way you choose, enjoy it!! Take every bit of education with a grain of salt and learn it to your best ability.

And then share that info.

Dave

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I will add that you probably won't find the perfect AR for you on the first try, if ever. Just make your best educated guess and start there.

I went through several before I settled on a set up that is right for me, for now, kind of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom