Help with .44 spec dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMcsr98

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I could really use some help with an old set of redding .44 spec dies that was given to me years ago. I have been a competitive rifle shooter for the past 26 years and having been reloading for rifles the entire time. I'm also an avid deer hunt here in IL. The county that I live in will be opening up a handgun deer season so I went out and bought a super Blackhawk Hunter (.44 Rem Mag) First I have to say - I know nothing about handgun reloading - On the box of redding #10 dies that I got gave to me yrs ago it says .44 Spec.
Can I use this set of dies for .44 mag also? Should I go out and buy a new set of dies?
HELP!!​

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm... The only difference case wise is the length, the .44 mag is .1" longer than the .44 Spl. It IS possible that they cannot be used for .44 mag if they are made too short, but the .44 dies I have work for both Mag and Spl, they are Lyman. Also most .357/.38 dies work for both and are labeled so.

If (and only if) you can't find hard information on them via Google or some other forum, I'd put the sizing/decapping die in the press, and slowly run a .44 mag into the die, if it does not deform the shell, and has enough length to still punch the primer out, it *should* be ok. Also try the seating die. This is more likely to be the issue, if the die is too short, it will begin to crimp the bullet (if it's a crimp and seater die) before the ram has completed the stroke.

Revolvers allow a lot more play with overall length than autos, so long as the round is not too short for the specified load and not too long to extend out of the cylinder, so the bullet seating part again *shouldn't* be an issue.

Again, try to find hard info specifically on the Redding dies first. But if they are old enough, that info may be hard to find.

**ETA** I checked their website, and they do list .44 Mag, .44 Spl, AND .44 Mag/Spl dies, so it is likely that it is a Spl only die set and will not work with .44 Mag. Some more knowledgeable people should chime in before too long.

Depending on how things are set up, you may be able to just buy a crimp die, instead of a whole new set. In your set, how many dies are there? Is the crimp and seater processes one die, or two?

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should be able to adjust the size die till it touches the shell holder and then back off 1/8 turn if it is a carbide die.Adjust the belling die out till you get the proper bell,adjust the seat crimp die way out so it will not crimp,set the seating rod down till you get the right seating depth,back out the seating rod and adjust the crimp die down till you get the right crimp and lock it down,now adjust the seating rod down firmly against the bullet and lock it.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my .38/.357 dies there is a spacer (larger thick washer) that I put between the dies and the press. same thing might be the case for yours if the one is a .44 spcl die. I cannot load .44 spl with my mag dies.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running Lee dies and purchased the .44 magnum die set so I could handle both.

In all honesty, about the only difference I can see between my .44 mag dies and the .44 spcl dies is the size of the full-length case sizing die. Everything else sets up from "touch the case and then turn 'X' amount in"

If you are running a wheel gun, sounds like you are with the Ruger, then not being able to get complete. full length sizing shouldn't be a problem. Putting a bell on the case, inserting bullets and crimping all should be done in reference to the top of your brass, not where the die bottoms out on the shell holder.

You should be able to adjust everything and come out fine.

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest. I've never tried to load 44 mag with 44 spc dies. However, I did load 327 fed mag with 32 h&r mag dies with success. The 327 is .12" longer that the h&r. You just have to pay close attention when setting the dies up for belling and crimping, so you don't crush the cases. My .02

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my .38/.357 dies there is a spacer (larger thick washer) that I put between the dies and the press. same thing might be the case for yours if the one is a .44 spcl die. I cannot load .44 spl with my mag dies.

Ditto. My RCBS .44 cal. dies use the same basic die, with the spacer added for the .44 Mag., and the same way on my RCBS .38/.357 dies.

HMcsr98

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input everyone! Its been very helpful. I was looking around at some of the local gun shops and the only powder I could find was hodgdon lil gun. Any body have any input on lil gun?

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .430" 1.600" 29.0gr 1749fps 27,400 CUP 31.5gr 1859fps 32,300 CUP

200 GR. NOS JHP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .429" 1.600" 27.5gr 1667fps 27,500 CUP 29.5gr 1794fps 36,200 CUP

225 GR. SPR JHP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .429" 1.575" 22.5gr 1508fps 31,600 CUP 24.7gr 1623fps 37,700 CUP

240 GR. NOS JHP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .429" 1.600" 22.5gr 1465fps 30,100 CUP 24.5gr 1582fps 38,100 CUP

See more here:http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should be able to adjust the size die till it touches the shell holder and then back off 1/8 turn if it is a carbide die.Adjust the belling die out till you get the proper bell,adjust the seat crimp die way out so it will not crimp,set the seating rod down till you get the right seating depth,back out the seating rod and adjust the crimp die down till you get the right crimp and lock it down,now adjust the seating rod down firmly against the bullet and lock it.

Randall dewfined thesteps very precisely. I have used one set of dies for loading 44 Special and 44 magnum as wel l s a similar sets for 32 S&W long-32 H&R Magnum and 38 Special-357 magnum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom