Help with a bad habit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yessir, lots of dry fire.
Also, live fire without a target, just a big non descript backdrop. Focus on your front sight the whole time. Also, you need to build a sort of subconscious confidence that your gun will not hurt you as you aim and fire it properly. After all, there’s a small explosion going on a foot or two away from your face. Force yourself
To keep your eyes open as the gun goes off

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to what everyone else said. You may try doubling up on ear protection. Ear plugs under the ear muffs. I’ve always been loud noise sensitive, and will flinch in anticipation of the noise, especially indoors.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some guns are inclined to go low because of long triggers and the grip is not so perfect for your hand.

Like stated pull the trigger as slow as you can and let it be a surprise when it goes off.
Keep your grip strong and stiff on the weapon that will help.

I have a pretty accurate 45acp semi auto pistol and I stuck 3 one gallon milk jugs 12" apart at 135 yards.

Wife was up first.
Shot one was low and right by 2" shot 2 tossed grass on the jug still low.

She then stated I see what is happening.
Right before the trigger breaks the nose is going down.
I watched her in action and slowly moving the trigger finger I see the nose go down a tick and she corrects it as she holds the
trigger finger steady and then continues easing back on the trigger.
NAILED IT!
Stuck a hole right in the jug water leaking out of the front that we could see.

I shot 9 rounds at it the jugs and no hits as did a buddy of mine and his dad.

Wife asked: What's wrong boys?

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry fire a lot, learn where the trigger breaks, make sure your grip is good on the gun. Put a sticky note on the wall and watch when dry firing to see where you are pushing the gun. Adjust where you are putting the trigger on your finger, should be about halfway between your finger tip and first joint for reference. You might have to slightly adjust depending on the gun. There are tons of good you tube videos on proper grip for handguns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello to you all,

I have a shooting mechanics question for the crack pistoleers here.
How do you train out "anticipating the shot"?
From the day I bought my XD and started my "gun guy" life, I've always had a problem pushing my shots low.
It's not my trigger mechanics, it's a full on body "flinch".
I bought a lighter trigger hoping the crisper, earlier break would fix it but I just have a gun with a better trigger that I still push low.
Looking for any suggestions better than "stop it."
Thanks.
Brandon
Your issue is what is called “milking the gun”.
When you pull the trigger, you tighten the grip of your right hand on the pistol at the same time your puling the trigger.
It wil almost always result in a low left shot.
easy to determine with dry fire.
If right handed, the right hand is nothing but a support for a pistol.
The left hand pulls the pistol back into the “pocket” the right hand has formed with thumbs pointing forward, and the trigger pulled. The right hand has to be relaxed.
it’s a regim the shooter has to practice.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above. Dry fire will help with a lot of things. Are you aiming carefully, getting the precise sight picture, and then when you see it you rush the trigger pull? I've had problems before with working really hard to get the perfect sight picture on the target, the when I see it it's "OMG THERE IT IS SHOOT NOW!" and pushing the shot way low. Similar to a flinch, same results but not really a flinch.

CoolShi7Designer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above. Dry fire will help with a lot of things. Are you aiming carefully, getting the precise sight picture, and then when you see it you rush the trigger pull? I've had problems before with working really hard to get the perfect sight picture on the target, the when I see it it's "OMG THERE IT IS SHOOT NOW!" and pushing the shot way low. Similar to a flinch, same results but not really a flinch.
I think you and Dennis may have hit the nail here my friends. Get excited -> tighten right hand grip-> low shot. My right hand is pretty "engaged" the whole time vs what Dennis said about using the support hand to pull the gun into the pocket. At the least it's a good theory to work from.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns are loud, they often shoot a bit of flame, and they recoil in your hands...it is not hard for people to develop a flinch, even when they know they aren't going to be physically harmed when they pull the trigger.

If you are shooting low-left, then Dennis' advice is good. If you are just shooting low, then it is recoil anticipation... where you are trying to mitigate that upward force of the gun by countering with a downward movement of your own.

The surprise dummy round is a decent practice. Dry firing can help, but some people like my 78 year old dad dry fire all the time while lounging around the house...then proceed to jerk half a magazine's worth of rounds low-left at the range.

Trigger finger placement also plays pretty well into what's going on...are you pulling straight back with the pad, or curling your joint around the trigger and putting sideways pressure as you pull? Nobody can analyze you over the net.

Id suggest starting with a .22 as I think was mentioned earlier. Work up from that if you have the ability to (eg. .22 to .38 SPL in a heavy revolver/9mm in a heavy pistol, then to the same cartridge in lighter guns etc... up until you reach whatever limit you want). It will take a few thousand rounds, but it will do that just to scratch the surface of being a good pistol shot anyway. Please bear in mind that if your fundamentals stink, you won't be good with anything.

After time and exposure to shooting a bit, the recoil, sights and sounds become less bothersome.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom