Help with a non registered mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing prices all the way from $30k with a box, to $7k with no box and a supposed $2k set of grips on it. but they're all in much nicer shape than yours.

I'm wondering if yours was issued to a police department? You have the exact spot ground down that my 28 has the serial number and lubbock pd stamp above the trigger on the right side.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if it was different between the registered and unregistered magnums? This RM shows to have that, but then I dont know whats going on in the other side. View attachment 317639
But then in this collection of RM's some do and some dont. Crappy picture, but you can kinda tell.
View attachment 317640
But this guy has nothing on left side, with large crest on the right.View attachment 317641View attachment 317642
I will agree the spot lines up for it and I’m not sure what else would be there to grind off

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing prices all the way from $30k with a box, to $7k with no box and a supposed $2k set of grips on it. but they're all in much nicer shape than yours.

I'm wondering if yours was issued to a police department? You have the exact spot ground down that my 28 has the serial number and lubbock pd stamp above the trigger on the right side.
I know the serial number falls in line with the Kansas City pd guns but it was shipped to an individual and not a department

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally, your NRM would have a quite high value. Value for such a collectible firearm is based upon originality and condition, that includes the following; original stocks, box, documents and tools, and remaining finish condition. A refinished gun will have less value than the original. Although if proven to have been refinished at the S&W factory, it would have a higher value than non factory, although still lower than original, even if the original gun is quite worn. Also, provenance has an effect on value. You can request a S&W history letter from Roy Jinks that will tell you the ship date as well as to whom it was shipped.

The cylinder "engraving", the severe grinding and non-original stocks diminishes the value quite a bit on this one. I'd value it at no more than $1k and I think it'd be tough to get someone to offer that.

Your NRM appears to have a 4" barrel, which I don't believe was standard, so value may be helped there. And the stocks it wears look familiar although I cannot say for certain, maybe Sandersons? If so, they're worth quite a bit.

How do you know it was shipped to an individual?

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Normally, your NRM would have a quite high value. Value for such a collectible firearm is based upon originality and condition, that includes the following; original stocks, box, documents and tools, and remaining finish condition. A refinished gun will have less value than the original. Although if proven to have been refinished at the S&W factory, it would have a higher value than non factory, although still lower than original, even if the original gun is quite worn. Also, provenance has an effect on value. You can request a S&W history letter from Roy Jinks that will tell you the ship date as well as to whom it was shipped.

The cylinder "engraving", the severe grinding and non-original stocks diminishes the value quite a bit on this one. I'd value it at no more than $1k and I think it'd be tough to get someone to offer that.

Your NRM appears to have a 4" barrel, which I don't believe was standard, so value may be helped there. And the stocks it wears look familiar although I cannot say for certain, maybe Sandersons? If so, they're worth quite a bit.

How do you know it was shipped to an individual?
I posted it on the s&w forum a few months ago and a gentleman there was able to do some digging and come up with a ship date and that it was ordered by an individual

Also thank you for the info and opinion on value. I’ve been struggling with it, trying to weigh the rarity of the gun with the damage

Latest posts

Top Bottom