Help with a sporter 1903a3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. I got it in a different stock that was cracked. He said he had shot it, but you never know.

If the 03A3 stock that you installed hasn't been sporterizerized, I'd suggest not inletting the stock as it's value would be significantly decreased. It might be best to repair the cracked sporter stock and use it instead. Between the chrome, polished and blued finish on the B/R, drill and tap, and altered bolt handle, the rifle is too far gone to restore to any semblance of its original configuration.

Edit: IIRC, the 03A3 stock was the one that you purchased out of the classifieds with the shortened forend. If so, don't hesitate to inlet the stock to accommodate the bolt handle. A Dremel with a sanding drum will make short work of it. Just mark the area that requires inletting. Go slow and test the bolt periodically so that too much material isn't removed. The inletted area on the sporter stock should give you an idea as to what contour and depth will be needed.

Last edited:

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the 03A3 stock that you installed hasn't been sporterizerized, I'd suggest not inletting the stock as it's value would be significantly decreased. It might be best to repair the cracked sporter stock and use it instead. Between the chrome, polished and blued finish on the B/R, drill and tap, and altered bolt handle, the rifle is too far gone to restore to any semblance of its original configuration.

Edit: IIRC, the 03A3 stock was the one that you purchased out of the classifieds with the shortened forend. If so, don't hesitate to inlet the stock to accommodate the bolt handle. A Dremel with a sanding drum will make short work of it. Just mark the area that requires inletting. Go slow and test the bolt periodically so that too much material isn't removed. The inletted area on the sporter stock should give you an idea as to what contour and depth will be needed.
It is already shortened. Somewhere down the road I would like to get an original configuration, but it the meantime I think this will make a good range and maybe hunting gun.

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you for all the help and information. By far the best part of this site

Latest posts

Top Bottom