Help with removing AR muzzle device

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themillz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, anyone have the proper tool for a surefire 3 prong flash hider? Want to take it off and add a YHM FH in preparation for my YHM can that’s in limbo.

AR is a Daniel Mk18 so you can’t grab the barrel

Retired1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, anyone have the proper tool for a surefire 3 prong flash hider? Want to take it off and add a YHM FH in preparation for my YHM can that’s in limbo.

AR is a Daniel Mk18 so you can’t grab the barrel

There should be wrench flats on the flash hider, near the base. At least every Surefire FH I've seen has those.

Do you not have an action bar or upper receiver block? Those make installation/removal much easier with a vice. The poor man's way of sitting on the receiver on a hard floor while you yank with a wrench is a good way to mess stuff up...and if you can afford the can and stamp, you can certainly afford the receiver block/action bar.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A can? A suppressor?

Educate me. A flash hider with a suppressor? Doesn't a suppressor reduce eliminate the flash?

Suppressors come either as a direct thread (screw onto the threads at end of barrel), or are designed to work with certain flash hiders/brakes as a means of faster installation and less chance at loosening during firing.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, you need a barrel vice/clamp. If the FH is really tight, using an upper receiver clamp will put unnecessary torque at the barrel/upper connection. You want to clamp the barrel as close to the FH as possible. There should be wrench flats on the FH. I'm also not a fan of the tool that fits in the barrel extension for the same reason. PM me if you need help.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rocksett is heat resistant ( ~ 2,000 degrees) but it is water soluble. Soak the part(s) in warm/hot water for 30 min. Have your vice set up for how ever you decide (barrel clamp, receiver vice, action bar), the muzzle device should turn right off. Be sure to clean up the threads (quickly) after removal before the Rocksett, sets up again. Be sure to wipe down your barrel, bore and chamber with oil to prevent any future rust.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A can? A suppressor?

Educate me. A flash hider with a suppressor? Doesn't a suppressor reduce eliminate the flash?
I have the Saker 762 suppressor. It twists-locks onto their flash hider that is attached to the barrel. Since I have installed this flash hider on each of my AR 556 barrel, 300 blk out barrel, and my Ruger 308 barrel the suppressor can be moved to any of those barrels in a few seconds by hand.

Retired1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an AAC suppressor, I have 2 flash hiders and 1 muzzle brake flash hider combination that have the 51 tooth ratcheting teeth, My suppressor can easily move from one to another using it's 51 tooth ratcheting method or any of them can be used without the suppressor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom