Help with Scope base

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok folks........... I feel like I just got off the short bus and need some help.
Rifle - Savage 110E, 7mm Rem Mag
Problem - It's been sitting in my gun safe for years, probably 20+ (since I moved back from Colorado in '96 at least). It has a scope on it that sits on see thru bases. As far as I can remember it shot straight and deadly.
Son wanted to shoot it a few weeks ago, so I pulled it out, made sure barrel was clean and let him fire off some rounds at our backstop, approximately 50 yards. He never touched the target.
I pulled the bolt, set the gun on sand bags and bore sighted the barrel on the target, looked thru the scope and it's aimed about 18" to the right of the target! ! WTH???
All the screws on the bases (two piece) are good and snug. Dunno, so I put it up for the day.
Saturday I got it out, took the top of the rings off and set another scope in the base. Same problem.
Okay........scope/base/rings are looking off to the right.......... now what the heck do I do?

My first thought is to buy a one piece base and set of rings, see what it does.
Looking at Brownells, it says that the rings for all the Leupold bases are rotary dovetail and then others have the picatinny/weaver style. Which option is best??? I don't have a clue

Suggestions please........

Thanks
Deano

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like for whatever reason, your see thru's got tweeked?
I've never liked them anyway. Scopes are so reliable these days, that they are not needed IMHO.
I really like the picatinny/weaver one piece base/lower half of the rings. They are machined true, and should fix your problem. Anytime you attach a base and attach rings to the base, then mount a scope, there are a lot of possibilities for error.
I know this is for an AR, but if your used to the higher see through, it would work.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The twist in Leupolds are quite solid but they dont have stops so you have to get them straight yourself with some form of jig or set your scope in it and tweak them until it looks right. I have a set and their sitting on a shelf right now.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll see about getting a base for it, I believe I've already got a set of rings that will hold my scope and fit the picatinny rail base.
Like to see how the rifle will shoot with some reloads in it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The twist in Leupolds are quite solid but they dont have stops so you have to get them straight yourself with some form of jig or set your scope in it and tweak them until it looks right. I have a set and their sitting on a shelf right now.
They make a tube you can buy to set in the rings and adjust accordingly. Not a fan of those rings.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:(
Bought some ring bases (2piece) from BP yesterday, installed them just now, topped off with a scope w/picatinny style rings.
Same problem existing. ....bore sighted on a security light across the street, scope is off to the right. I'll try a different scope tomorrow probably.

Any thoughts? ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom