Help with Scope base

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well hell...... I mounted another scope this afternoon and sad to say it was aimed pretty much the same as my original scope. This was on the two piece base and the picatinny/weaver style rings. Both scopes had almost enough adjustment to put the crosshairs on target (sighted thru the bore on target).
Sooo what next........I pulled the scope and set the rifle on sand bags, using the rear base I "leveled" it with a two foot level. Moved the level up onto the front base without moving the rifle. Front base is a full bubble off from the rear.
Ahhh..ok, pulled those two bases off and reinstalled the original see thru rings, bottom half only. Leveled the rear ring, front ring was about a third of a bubble off. I know it's not very accurate but it's what came to mind.

So WTH has happened to my rifle and how do I fix it? Jerry @ Jerry's Reloading mentioned that looong range shooters sometimes use some shims that "cam" the scope, any thoughts?
I am at a loss on what to do now.

Deano

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it shot good before, that eliminates improper mounting holes in the receiver unless the scope on your old see trough's was cranked to the max on windage to get it on target. You said it was a long time since you had shot it.
A second scope on the new bases confirms a bad base or improper installation if the screw holes in the receiver are correct, and you have installed two piece bases, I'd think one of the bases is off, or has a burr causing mis-alignment.
A one piece base/rings takes out all of the factors out of scope mounting.
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-...plusbox-beta&gclid=CMqJrZLS1s4CFQGOaQodqXIO1w

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may of already said, but does thee rifle group? If so, I would say that it has to be an issue with the base/mount, rings, scope, or operator. I would remove everything and clean the mating surfaces. I would use a set of calipers and mark the barrel center in a couple of spots and lay a machinist ruler across the scope mounting holes to see if everything is lines up. If so, get a quality one piece base, I like warne, mount and torque them correctly. mount your rings and lap them. Then I would mount the scope using a scope leveling tool.

If one of your bases is mounted incorrectly, it would mar your scopes finish.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No idea if it groups... I'd need a 4' sheet of plywood at 50 yards to be on the same target. I'll try to do the ruler thing and see if the holes are out of whack with the barrel.
I don't have any clue what you mean by lap the rings. Thanks for the input tho.
Guess I can try a one piece base and see how that works before taking to a gunsmith or calling Savage.
DH, as best I can remember it shot fine way back in mid 80's when I elk hunted with it. Cannot remember if the scope was way off on the windage or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom