Help with winter hunting gear for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, last year, my son nearly froze himself to death. We went to Academy the week before and picked out some stuff that should have been fine, probably down into the 30s or 20s, temp-wise. But... when we got out to the blind, it was like -5 or so, I think. We had some of the small chemical heat packs, and they helped a bit, but honestly, after a couple of hours out there, he was just essentially DONE. I'm HOPING I'll be able to convince him to go back out this year.

Here's what I'm looking at, if any of you guys have tips for me, fire away. He's a small dude, too. 12 years old, right at 5 feet tall and just about 70 lbs. Luckily, he takes after mom in the waistline category. Unfortunately, he also takes after mom in the "Caribbean-blood" category, which means cold and wet ain't his thing!

Here is what I THINK is the coat I got him last year - I'm going off of memory here, so... who knows:

Magellan Outdoors Kids' Ozark Insulated Waist Jacket
20022332.jpg

It's a decent lightweight jacket, for moderate cold, I think. But... sitting in the extreme cold for hours on end, it did NOT do the trick.

Here is the other one I am thinking about for him at this point:

Magellan Outdoors Kids' Pintail Insulated Waterfowl Hunting Jacket
20026075.jpg

Obviously, this one looks a LOT warmer. At least I hope so. It looks a lot more like the one I got myself, which is incredibly warm. I don't think it's the exact one I got, because the cuffs look different, but it is pretty similar. The liner sticking out there certainly looks a lot more substantial than the one above. The one from last year was a medium and fits him perfectly this year, but if I go with this new one, being thicker, I think I'll get a large, since he should be able to use it next year, as well. I think. ***Oh, and I didn't try to skimp on him last year and got myself a good one and him a cruddy one - I think that was all they had left in his size when we were looking.

I know the best bet is to go try them on somewhere, but we'd have to drive down to Tulsa to hit Academy, and we won't be back down there for about 2 weeks. If I order something online, I can get it here now, and if it doesn't work out, I can always ship it back for refund and then shop in Tulsa. I have not been the least bit impressed with what I've found the 2 or 3 times I've checked out Atwoods and TSC for true hunting gear, and they're about all we've got in town. And Bass Pro is just stupid expensive on everything in their damn store. <sigh>

I know a good down coat would be best, but I'm finding $100-200 for those, and honestly, he's going to wear this just a couple days this season, and MAYBE a couple days next season. If I can get something good that will work for the range of the Academy ones above, I'll be happy.

I'm going to buy a big box of the HotHands chemical packs for feet and hands - and armpits, back of neck, etc. I'll prolly get him a balaclava or something this year, as well, to go under his fleece beanie.

Now... gloves. Argh. What a pain. I've read that mittens are actually best, because you can keep your fingers together - combine this with hotpacks and I think they should be ideal. Of course, a super thin liner could be worn under them, as well, if needed. I see UA has some of those on their outlet that aren't too unreasonable.

Cabela's Kids' MT050® Extreme II Glomitts
upload_2017-10-31_2-32-28.png

These look pretty good for what I'm wanting, have the pouch to put a warming pack in, and the mitten hood will flip back when it's time to shoot. In addition, they're on sale for like $6.88 at Cabela's! lol Can't go wrong, right? Unless someone here has used these and tells me they are absolute shite!

He's got some big rubber camo boots that he still has plenty of toe-room in, so thick socks and a couple heating pads in the boots should be fine.

I don't think we found any good insulated pants for him last year - I don't remember what her wore, but I'm going to guess something like brown cargo pants or something with some spandex-type pants underneath. Open to suggestions on this one.

Ugh, ok, that's it for now. As always, definitely open to any advice the experienced hunters here have - I am just learning as I go, and not very good at this yet. But I want to make it as comfortable as I can for my son, so he will want to keep going out with Dad in the future, without dreading it being a miserable experience, ya know?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was that age--in Ohio--I wore a surplus field jacket with the liner. Worked great.

Those glomits are great, and a good pair of Thinsulate waterproof pack boots. I also carried a boat cushion so I'd have a place to sit. It made a huge difference.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might also consider insulated coveralls. They hold in the body heat well.

BTW...I'm not from the Caribbean but I'm with you your son on the cold and wet thing. I've spent my share of time cold and wet in places all around the world and it doesn't get any better no matter your location. If it gets too miserable I just stay in camp, ***** and cook for the kids to make sure they have a hot meal when they roll back in after their morning hunt.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Layers and long underwear are definitely necessary. Is it a long walk to the blind or stand? If so he might want to walk in with less clothing on to prevent sweating.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Layers and long underwear are definitely necessary. Is it a long walk to the blind or stand? If so he might want to walk in with less clothing on to prevent sweating.

Nah, it's not far. Couple hundred yards, maybe. I understand the layering thing, for sure. I just want to get a nice top layer, and of course, for paws, it's tough to layer, honestly.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if it's really cold, I'll tape one of those hot hands to my chest and put one in each glove. Seems to work pretty well

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes wool socks or electric socks..I have some electric socks they work well..Usually not cold enough here to use them if you have good wool ones and feet stay dry.

People say layers..I was challenged one year where I worked (FAA) one guy told me I could not ride my motorcycle all year to work.
HA! wanna bet.
Yep I drove 25 miles 1 way to work.. You get to test layers and different gloves along with many things.

The sleet and ice covered roads made for a long ride but i did it.
Now the best gloves were some triple layer gloves that are waterproof. the ones you have the mitten gloves work well.
The 2nd best were good fluffy lined welding gloves.

The cold weather rides I wore my T shirt along with my leather jacket Not a must have but I wore it for protection in a crash.
The T shirt covered by a Hoodie then some coveralls Like walls heavy canvas type that stickers/ briars do not tear.
Then get this the top layer was a PVC rain suit.
I kid you not the rain suit will keep rain out and hold heat in.

When i hunt in the sub freezing I have the hoodie and coveralls and rain suit of some kind.. yes some suits are noisy.
But if you are sitting it is not an issue.
I have tried t shirt, hoodie, jacket and 2 pairs of coveralls and the wind and cold creap right through.

Here is the theory i have.
You can layer up and the cold will actually freeze the outer layers then you are sitting in an ice box that looks like coveralls.
Your body heat can heat just so many layers before the cold wins over.
Neck and head heat need to be contained also.. that is an easy part to do.

For cold weather riding I built a neck brace like a simpson racing neck brace.
I built mine from a sweater sleeve filled it with batting and made it attach with velcro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom