Help with winter hunting gear for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much trouble as everyone goes to with masking their scent - special soaps, scent-masking clothing, doe piss, etc., and you guys are heating sausage biscuits and beanie weanies in your blinds??? lol

Funny chit right there, man.

I don’t use scents, etc. waste of money. Work the wind and save your hard earned $$$
None of that crap will fool a deers nose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much trouble as everyone goes to with masking their scent - special soaps, scent-masking clothing, doe piss, etc., and you guys are heating sausage biscuits and beanie weanies in your blinds??? lol

Cabela's canceled my order for The Boy's mittens since apparently they sold out, so I had to go back and order a pair in men's small for him - and of course, had to pay for shipping a 2nd time, which essentially was almost the cost of the gloves. <sigh> I smell a rat.
The rag wool mittens that sells at Walmart are really good.
Half glove, half mitten.
I've used them at -25 elk hunting the NM mountains.
The son can flip back the mitten part to use a finger for the video games to keep him occupied.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best thing I have found for scent is start fire, either in a safe place or a bee smoker with twigs and leaves from your area and get the smoke all over you.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cabela's canceled my order for The Boy's mittens since apparently they sold out, so I had to go back and order a pair in men's small for him - and of course, had to pay for shipping a 2nd time, which essentially was almost the cost of the gloves. <sigh> I smell a rat.

We go through 0 efforts to eliminate our scents. As soon as you get in the truck you smell like gas, exhaust, and the bean burrito you ate yesterday. The only camo I own is a coat which I only wear when its stupid cold. Seems to work for me.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the bigger one with 2 bottles. Most of the time it is on low or medium. We hunt out of a bigger pop up blind. I made sure to stake it down good and it had a sort of flap around it on the bottom. I covered that with dirt to help seal it in.

Thank you. Thats the one Ill get then. I talked to my girl yesterday to make sure she was really excited about going before I made the investment. How long do you get out of 2 bottles on whatever setting you use it on mostly?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. Thats the one Ill get then. I talked to my girl yesterday to make sure she was really excited about going before I made the investment. How long do you get out of 2 bottles on whatever setting you use it on mostly?

4-6 hours depending if you use hi or lo range.
I’m on private ground so have a 20lb bulk bottle outside the blind with one of those adaptor flex hoses running inside to the heater. A whole lot cheaper.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try a handwarmer muff. My son loves it, put a couple chemical warming packs in the center and good to go.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the blanket idea. We use woobies. Can get them on eBay cheap. They pack well and are light. My daughter loves to snuggle up in one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom