Help with winter hunting gear for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cabela’s Stand Hunter Extreme Coveralls
If you’re looking for a coverall, these are the pair you need to have. Cabela’s Stand Hunter Extreme Coveralls are engineered to keep you warm even in the extreme cold. By using its Zone Insulation System, these coveralls vary the Thinsulate level to give you the warmth you need, while still allowing you room to move. They feature 150-gram Thinsulate Platinum insulation throughout, with 200 grams surrounding your core, 300 grams down your spine and kidneys and 500-gram insulation on the seat to ensure you’re warm no matter what it’s like outside. And with a removable hand muff, hood and hand warmer pockets, you’re comfortable no matter what.

cdn0.wideopenspaces.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_12_518.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't find out till a few years ago when I was seeing a hand surgeon, he suspected I have a mild case of Raynaud's. I had no idea that even existed, I just thought everybody else was as cold in the Winter as I was.

Boot blankets have helped. Carry them in and put them on the feet once settled.

d34b832b43c108ebe5563b6eb2fe0df0--job-boots.jpg

And real burning liquid fuel handwarmers, one in each coat pocket, wrapped in a sock or handkerchief to prevent burns.

190785_ts.jpg

If I can keep the feet and toes warm, the rest of the clothing doesn't have to be anything special.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man its tough. I have a little girl and it may be even harder. One of the most important things you can do is keep heat from escaping from his head and neck. Even face. Keeping his head and neck warm will help keep his hands and feet warm. My muck boots make my feet sweat and are horrible for cold weather hunting.
Im just going to break down and get a buddy heater to sit in front of her in the blind this year.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man its tough. I have a little girl and it may be even harder. One of the most important things you can do is keep heat from escaping from his head and neck. Even face. Keeping his head and neck warm will help keep his hands and feet warm. My muck boots make my feet sweat and are horrible for cold weather hunting.
Im just going to break down and get a buddy heater to sit in front of her in the blind this year.

The buddy heater is the best thing I've done.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good tips above.

#1 most important thing for me is a neck gaiter. Makes a world of difference. I wear a good fleece or wool neck gaiter with a good beanie or stocking cap. I learned about neck gaiters when I was hunting Iowa one very cold December!!
To keep my hands warm I just wear light gloves and put them in my jacket pockets when they get cold.
Good base layers and mid layers are a must.
I wear overalls and coat for outer layers. The overalls hold in the heat well while still allowing upper body mobility.
Cabelas wool boot socks are the best I've found. They are worth the $14 /pair
The boot blankets mentioned above work well for feet in extreme cold weather.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear insulated coveralls a lot. It's easy and still comfortable to layer up underneath with long underwear, sweat pants, hoodie/fleece jacket. I look like the kid from A Christmas Story waddling out to my stand.

Head gear is a must for me if I'm out in the wind. This keeps a lot of heat in.

I'm still searching for the best gloves and socks tho. I bet I have 10 different styles of each and haven't found a great pair. That's why I finally just got a buddy heater.

I hate being cold!

IMG_1451.PNG

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Polypropylene glove and sock liners, silk is even better if you can find and afford it. Wool over the top of those. Remember that old saying. “cotton kills”. It’s crap for insulating properties. Neck gator as stated and a bulky watch cap or similar. Layers and layers. Also the hand warmers in a belt with pouches to hold them over the kidney area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The buddy heater is the best! I have 2 girls that love to hunt and don't really like the cold. We have hunted with snow falling and it being really cold. The Mr. buddy heater kept them toasty. We usually just wear a light jacket and that is it. The girls can go all day like that. And yes we have shot deer with the heater going.

Latest posts

Top Bottom