Help with winter hunting gear for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The buddy heater is the best! I have 2 girls that love to hunt and don't really like the cold. We have hunted with snow falling and it being really cold. The Mr. buddy heater kept them toasty. We usually just wear a light jacket and that is it. The girls can go all day like that. And yes we have shot deer with the heater going.

Do you have the small 1 bottle one or the larger 2 bottle version? Use in a well built blind or a pop up?

I have a pop up that we hunt out of and Im thinking about the larger buddy heater since it has a fan and 2 bottles. I think its another $40 or so.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol.

Thanks for all the advice. I know layering and wool socks and all that. Definitely. Just that last year, even with that, he was still an icicle. It was -5F, though. Not the norm for us, for sure.

Tonite we went to Academy and I got him the heavier coat as well as a pair of the insulated pants - bibs, maybe? I dunno, they have the straps that come up over the shoulders, they cover part of the chest and back. He did NOT want these, lol. He said he doesn't want overalls, and he'd rather be cold than unfashionable. lol. Anyways, I got him to try them on, he agreed when wearing them they didn't look as bad as he expected, and with the coat on, of course, it just looks like he is wearing pants.

So I think we should be pretty well set:

Balaclava with insulated fleece beanie over the top
Several layers on upper body with the heavier coat, waterproof, as well
Spandex-style pants, sweat pants, then maybe jeans and then the coveralls.
Insulated rubberized boots with wool socks
Thin underlayer gloves from UA, then the fold-back type mittens from Cabela's.
Multiple chemical heatpacks - toes, hands, back of neck, underarms, etc.

I think he'll be ok. ;)

I'm probably overthinking things, but I just don't want him to start hating the thought of hunting if he's always miserable cold, so I think we've got things pretty well buttoned up. Now, bring on the 19th!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note to those using buddy heaters. The newer ones have a redesigned safety screen in front of and over the infrared burner.
The older ones held a tin of beanie weenies, Vienna sausage, or some pulled pork in BBQ sauce on top to heat. Just crack the lid open to relieve pressure and warm until bubbly.
Love cooking in the blind to help pass the time. You wouldn't catch me eating that crap anywhere outside of deer season, but when its frosty cold, and you have warm food or soup, its like fine dining. LOL
The newer ones, (bought two this season) have eliminated the ability to rest the can above the burners, but a cheap metal spatula from the dollar store works wonders. Folded the edges up so the can won't slide off.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks weird but I used to haul an old sleeping bag out and stuff her down inside it during rifle season. Keeps them warm and they can still walk. Keep the fanta's and oatmeal cream pies handy and she was good to go. Her first trip out with me she turned 2yoa sitting on a ridge at Cooper WMA. Celebrated every birthday since at deer camp.
0c7cdb847a7cb6644e7bb6d6b562084e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have the small 1 bottle one or the larger 2 bottle version? Use in a well built blind or a pop up?

I have a pop up that we hunt out of and Im thinking about the larger buddy heater since it has a fan and 2 bottles. I think its another $40 or so.

We have the bigger one with 2 bottles. Most of the time it is on low or medium. We hunt out of a bigger pop up blind. I made sure to stake it down good and it had a sort of flap around it on the bottom. I covered that with dirt to help seal it in.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a note to those using buddy heaters. The newer ones have a redesigned safety screen in front of and over the infrared burner.
The older ones held a tin of beanie weenies, Vienna sausage, or some pulled pork in BBQ sauce on top to heat. Just crack the lid open to relieve pressure and warm until bubbly.
Love cooking in the blind to help pass the time. You wouldn't catch me eating that crap anywhere outside of deer season, but when its frosty cold, and you have warm food or soup, its like fine dining. LOL
The newer ones, (bought two this season) have eliminated the ability to rest the can above the burners, but a cheap metal spatula from the dollar store works wonders. Folded the edges up so the can won't slide off.

we found that it was perfect to set a sausage biscuit on or pop tarts to warm them up. Helped pass the time and keep the girls occupied when they were younger.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much trouble as everyone goes to with masking their scent - special soaps, scent-masking clothing, doe piss, etc., and you guys are heating sausage biscuits and beanie weanies in your blinds??? lol

Funny chit right there, man.

Cabela's canceled my order for The Boy's mittens since apparently they sold out, so I had to go back and order a pair in men's small for him - and of course, had to pay for shipping a 2nd time, which essentially was almost the cost of the gloves. <sigh> I smell a rat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom