Help with winter hunting gear for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, I spent a ton on super warm gear, and the LOW for opening morning is going to be like 49F. lol Looking out 10 days, it doesn't look like it's supposed to get substantially colder, lowest I see for us is around freezing, basically through Thanksgiving.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, I spent a ton on super warm gear, and the LOW for opening morning is going to be like 49F. lol Looking out 10 days, it doesn't look like it's supposed to get substantially colder, lowest I see for us is around freezing, basically through Thanksgiving.
Which sucks for deer hunting. The more miserable it is, the more activity the deer have because they must eat to keep up body heat. Warm days like we have coming keep the activity level low. The ongoing rut will be the only saving grace.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which sucks for deer hunting. The more miserable it is, the more activity the deer have because they must eat to keep up body heat. Warm days like we have coming keep the activity level low. The ongoing rut will be the only saving grace.

Better for me on the drive! Ugh! Playing Deer Frogger in the dark is not fun!

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like someone said before... Layers. NO COTTON clothing... only synthetics. Years of hiking and backpacking experience here. Good wicking spandex type base layer... Loose fitting synthetic next layer... followed by some synthetic fleece... followed by good insulated outer layer. Can tear out layers if things warm up.

I've known people to even use battery operated warmth jackets to help in some extreme cases. Not hunting but its a thought

Feet are the hardest.... good insulated rated boots with chemical heat pockets.

Box blinding or any other type of stand that is enclosed and can block the wind will help a lot. Then maybe a Coleman propane fueled heater.

I've got one old man on my lease running a 12volt travel heating blanket off a car battery... last about 4 hours and he recharges it during his lunch/nap break before going back out in the evening.

Making it a good experience is key for keeping youth involved.... not sure why youth are so soft now a days. My dad loves to tell the story of my shaking the deer stand, not sure if its buck fever or me freezing my butt off.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

True, but, even if its down to 35 for a few hours man thats hard on a kid when they arent moving. Just sitting, the kids get cold really fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom