Helper for Wichita Mountain Controlled Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK Guys, my upcoming hunt is January 9th for a cow elk. From my selection of possible helpers, my closest group of family and friends, all are well over 50 and mostly either completely out of shape, or never could have done it even in their younger years. So there's my dilemma.

Now that I've gotten myself into decent enough shape to carry out a big chunk of elk a couple of miles, I'm going to need a helper. Now I've heard that there are guys that volunteer as helpers during the controlled hunts. Can anyone confirm that? If so, I'm assuming you'd want to offer them something for their help. Would that something be in the way of cash or elk meat?

I've got a little time but trying to get the ducks in order before hand.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No pack mules/horses or motorized vehicles allowed. You're allowed a helper and it all has to come out on your backs.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I'm doing the Rocky thing preparing for the upcoming fight, or hike out in my case......

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would check with Refuge HQ. I'm sure any volunteers would have to check in with the HQ office, so I'd start by calling them. (580)
429-3222, 8am--4:30 pm (I would assume that means Mon-Fri, but IDK for sure). Oh, and congrats on getting drawn for the hunt!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hunted or helped on 3 elk hunts and there were helpers just waiting to go to work.
I'm sure there were. I'm equally sure they have to be cleared through Refuge HQ. Some of the hunts are in the Restricted Use areas, where access is severly limited. The OP could find out by calling Refuge HQ.

Latest posts

Top Bottom