Helpful Hint!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have some post holes to dig in our Oklahoma clay/dirt, get it done soon! What with all the wet weather we've had for the last few months, right now the clay/dirt is relatively(compared to usual) soft.

We've struggled over the last few years putting in fence posts - even with a gasoline powered auger. The clay/dirt was so hard most of the time, one could barely get the auger to bite. It kept just gliding over the layers of clay like those layers were highly polished and lubricated granite. We'd get down maybe 6" and then fill the hole with water. We would have to wait over night for the water to sink in, then barely get another 6" the next day. It took 3 days to dig about 60 post holes about two feet deep.

Day before yesterday we had to dig 11 holes, 30" deep, 8" diameter, for a short run of fence posts that incorporates a small arbor (16' x 8' x 8 foot tall). We were done auguring in about an hour - which included all the layout, taking the auger out, getting it started after sitting idle for 2-1/2 years, digging the holes, cleaning, and putting it away. About half way down, I had to hold the auger back some and let it clear itself. Otherwise, it would have simply screwed itself all the way down without lifting the dirt to the surface.

Woody

PS: Now I understand why bricks are made in Oklahoma.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've dug a little hole and put water in the hole and then came back the next day after the clay had softened to plant trees. It isn't fun and most of the trees died.

Latest posts

Top Bottom