Henry Lever for Lefties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 8 year old has become quite proficient with his 10/22, he's clearing the 25 yard rimfire range at Red Castle faster than I can. He is a lefty though and doesn't like the brass flying right in front of his face when he fires. I was considering getting him a left handed savage rifle, but he fell in love with the Henry Youth Lever Actions after handling one at the NRA annual meetings, my right handed wife also liked the rifle a lot.

Do any of the lefties out there have experience with lever action? I would love to get one, they seem like a lot of fun, but if it's not going to work out for my son, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have experience with your specific lever gun, however I do with both Winchester 94 top eject and marlin 336 both in 30-30. and can say I have never had an issue with brass in either. I prefer lever guns to lefties, as I can still resell and let buddies use them. Thinking of it though, I have never had an issue and don't notice brass out of any rifle when I am shooting. Hate to say it, but its just something southpaws just have to deal with and I just don't even process the brass being in front of my face.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my grandfather, a British Army WW2 veteran, was teaching us rifle marksmanship (myself, brother and 2 cousins) He said to my left handed cousin...

Grandfather; You're right handed now.

My cousin; But, but...

Grandfather; Shut it! You're right handed now. Then proceeds to smack him on the head with the cleaning rod.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Levers are nice for lefties. I'm right handed, but left eye dominate, so i shoot off my left shoulder. I shoot several different lever guns and get along with all of them well. If it fits him and he likes it, do we really need another reason to buy a new gun...

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John Wayne uses a left handed Winchester in the wagon ride out of the camp in the Comencheros
Billy the Kid famous picture is with him holding a left handed Winchester.

StandingRock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a lefty. Lever action is the way to go unless you want to spend a lot of time and energy looking for a left handed bolt. However, I have never had a problem with a 10/22 rejecting a shell into my face. worst case, I'll get one down my neck every once and a while. Those Henry golden boys are shooters though. I have one and there is no problem driving in nails into boards and it's comfortable to shoot too. You could consider a 22lr in an AR platform with a shell deflector on the upper. I have never personal went this route but it might be worth looking into. The shell deflectors do make all the difference in world when shooting in the 5.56 or .308 realm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom