Henry single shot 243

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
29991E7B-5BAC-4433-AA2A-960DC5506BF9.jpeg
9350E54D-0D8E-42A8-B770-48BB2F3AE9D1.jpeg
9510C8EB-6FDB-4BAA-AAC7-3B7282518AB0.jpeg
Picked one up Saturday.
Great looking rifle and the quality seems to be there. The wood stock looks beautiful imo.

Got a base and hammer extension ordered thru Henry
Found some ammo online federal fusion 95gr at $50 a box. Ouch that hurt
Looking for a scope

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a nice looking rifle by today's standards. Checkered stock and the wood has a hint of figure coming through. I won't even buy half this plastic stuff they make now days. There is zero pride of ownership in a poly stocked rifle for me personally. It's like if you scratch it, big woop. Yea, they may be more stable but I have never had issues with wood myself.

I find it strange they put a recoil pad on a 243. Must be light or maybe the model is configured for larger stuff too. Should be a joy to carry.
Henry seems about close to the last of the Mohicans of stuff made here.
Beautiful gun.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a nice looking rifle by today's standards. Checkered stock and the wood has a hint of figure coming through. I won't even buy half this plastic stuff they make now days. There is zero pride of ownership in a poly stocked rifle for me personally. It's like if you scratch it, big woop. Yea, they may be more stable but I have never had issues with wood myself.

I find it strange they put a recoil pad on a 243. Must be light or maybe the model is configured for larger stuff too. Should be a joy to carry.
Henry seems about close to the last of the Mohicans of stuff made here.
Beautiful gun.

The steel models get a recoil pad, the brass models do not.
This was the first one I have seen in the wild. I kicked it around Friday when I saw it, then went back on saturday and jumped.

Agreed there is something about the classic wood/steel on a rifle.
I tend to flow back to single shot rifles and shotguns, dont get me wrong I like my AR but the simplicity of the single shot rifle is second to none IMO.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked that so much I went to the Henry website to see what calibers it is offered in. I was hoping maybe a 264,270 or 280Rem or even a 22-250. No such luck. Of the ones offered I think you made the right choice with a 243. That is the one I would have gotten too
Single shots are so light to carry and 85-90% of everything I have bagged with a rifle unless it was running was done on the first shot anyway so that does not bother me in the least.

I once knew a Hillbilly from the Appalachians that could shoot a old single shot 12ga almost as fast as I could my pump action. He kept 2 shells in between fingers on his off hand. Shot, had the lever pressed, auto ejected and he crammed another round in and yanked the gun up with one arm to shut it. I tried practicing it and bent a shotgun shell and decide I better quit. Don't know if I would even try to do that with a rifle though. That guy was flat fast with ole single barrel Betsy.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked that so much I went to the Henry website to see what calibers it is offered in. I was hoping maybe a 264,270 or 280Rem or even a 22-250. No such luck. Of the ones offered I think you made the right choice with a 243. That is the one I would have gotten too
Single shots are so light to carry and 85-90% of everything I have bagged with a rifle unless it was running was done on the first shot anyway so that does not bother me in the least.

I once knew a Hillbilly from the Appalachians that could shoot a old Winchester single shot 12ga almost as fast as I could my pump action. He kept 2 shells in between fingers on his off hand. Shot, had the lever pressed, auto ejected and he crammed another round in and yanked the gun up to shut it. I tried practicing it and bent a shotgun shell and decide I better quit. Don't know if I would even try to do that with a rifle though. That guy was flat fast with ole single barrel Betsy.

This was the only one they had. I was looking the dozen or so rifles, literally, on the shelf and said hey can I see that henry single shot and is it a 243, yes and yes was the reply.
Turns out its a youth model, only difference between the youth and regular stock is the youth is shorter by 1in.

A 270 would be good choice, but they do offer the 308 and of course 45-70, might have to get one in 45-70

Latest posts

Top Bottom