Here’s why I prefer a 12ga over a pistol for home defense…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking more shotguns than rifles or pistols? Or more 12 ga than any other caliber/gauge?

Broke down between shotgun, rifle, .22 rifle and handgun; shotgun is at the top and 12 ga is the majority. But, 12 ga is 2nd to .22 LR. Though, 12 ga SHOTGUNS out number .22 LR RIFLES or HANDGUNS. Purely semantics. Long way around, just say:

I concur, I likes me shotguns and 12 ga leads the pack.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I post this little snippet a lot, but it can not be said enough. I loves me scattergun! I probably own more shotguns and 12 gauge shells than any other caliber/cartridge.

I could listen to Clintisms all day long.

I've seen people drop dead in their tracks with a 9mm to the chest and get hit 6-7 times in the chest with a 9mm and keep being a threat. What I don't think I've ever seen or watched a video on, was someone being hit square in the chest with a 3" load of 00 Buck and continue to be a threat.

I realize it's not always feasible to grab one or have one, but If I have the choice v's time, I'm grabbing a scatter gun!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking more shotguns than rifles or pistols? Or more 12 ga than any other caliber/gauge?

Broke down between shotgun, rifle, .22 rifle and handgun; shotgun is at the top and 12 ga is the majority. But, 12 ga is 2nd to .22 LR. Though, 12 ga SHOTGUNS out number .22 LR RIFLES or HANDGUNS. Purely semantics. Long way around, just say:

I concur, I likes me shotguns and 12 ga leads the pack.

Part of that may be because the .22 rifle is the most owned firearm bar none. Everybody and their dog, even non-gun folks, own a .22 rifle.

In my 33 years as a cop, I've seen more people shot with .22s than any other firearm period.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could listen to Clintisms all day long.

I've seen people drop dead in their tracks with a 9mm to the chest and get hit 6-7 times in the chest with a 9mm and keep being a threat. What I don't think I've ever seen or watched a video on, was someone being hit square in the chest with a 3" load of 00 Buck and continue to be a threat.

I realize it's not always feasible to grab one or have one, but If I have the choice v's time, I'm grabbing a scatter gun!
I saw a video a few years back where a man was attacking some police officers and one of them fired their shotgun right into the man’s chest and he kept coming for a while before he went down. I could not believe it. Adrenaline and drugs can cause us to keep going even when we are terminally wounded. But eventually we would collapse due to blood loss. Which I’m guessing is what happened to this guy. But I have also seen videos of people being hit with over 13 shots of 9mm and still attack. As you said, I have also seen some drop instantly with one round of 9mm. This is why shot placement is so important. I love how there are so many people that think you don’t have to aim a shotgun, well, you do.

I still carry 147 grain HST loads in my 9’s. I can put multiple shots on target pretty quick. I like having more capacity and low recoil. But I have no issues at all with someone wanting to use a shotgun for home defense. I think it’s a great choice as long as they have plenty of ammo in it. I know some mag fed shotguns can be picky but to me those are the way to go. If multiple attackers break in to my home I don’t want just 6-7 rounds. I personally don’t use a shotgun for home defense.

Speaking of shotgun loads, I just saw a round on ammunition depot called the Pit Bull. It’s a 00 buck round with a slug on top of the buck shot. The darn things were about $5 a shell!! But talk about a devastating round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom