Here It is: CZ457 Build and range reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 190327
Mods List:
CZ 457 MTR
CZ walnut varmint stock
22LR MTR match barrel
CZ 17HMR barrel
Lothar Walther 17HM2 stainless .860 barrel (to be cerakoted)
Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40
Leupold PRW2 30mm low rings
BScar 15MOA limited edition dovetail to pic scope base
Area 419 bolt knob
DIP aluminum magazine well
DIP aluminum magazine spacer
DIP aluminum extended magazine release
Ordered: anarchy outdoors one piece floor plate/trigger guard

I love this rifle. Thanks to many of you, I was kicked off the ledge on buying a bolt action rimfire, and I should have done this years ago. I picked the CZ 457 for the accuracy, decent trigger, ridiculously good looks, and the barrel swap ability. Being able to have 3 rifles in one is not only super neat, but saves me a ton of money. At least before I started buying aftermarket parts. I purchased the varmint stock to replace the MTR stock because I wanted this rifle to be first a hunting rifle, and secondly a target rifle. Couldn’t find any 22LR 457’s in the configuration I wanted, aside from the MTR. The Match barrel was a nice perk to boot. I can always swap back and forth if needed, but I do prefer the look and ergonomics of the more traditional stock. Another perk is that the varmint stock ordered standalone from CZ doesn’t have the branding cut into it, like the rest of the finished production rifles in the line, as well as my MTR stock seen here.
View attachment 190328 View attachment 190329 View attachment 190330 View attachment 190331
Fit and finish of the rifle is for the most part great, the barrel swap is extremely easy, but my biggest gripe is that there’s plastic parts on it, such as the mag well, the magazine latch, and the magazine conversion block. I ordered all the aluminum DIP parts to replace the factory plastic parts, and the bottom metal to add rigidity, replacing the bottom thin metal two piece assembly. The DIP parts fit perfectly, we’ll see how the bottom metal fits. I’m not impressed with the OE bottom metal fits around the rear of the trigger guard. I would have preferred checkering over the laser stippling, but at this price point that is probably out of the question. Both of the stocks have plastic pillars. I am considering getting the rifle some metal pillars and bedded, but I am trying to wait on that a while.

View attachment 190332 View attachment 190333

The DIP mag latch is just a tiny bit longer than the original CZ latch, and aluminum rather than plastic too. The Metal Magazines are super nice, problem is I am having a hellacious time finding any. Picked up a 452/453 17hmr magazine on accident trying to find some even. Its for sale, just pm me.
I was thinking of getting the extended mag release lever myself. But for the price of $24$ plus shipping and only being a very slight difference in length, I think I'll hold off. On another note, I read that the extended lever does not work well with metal mags. Have you had a problem with that?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you want to sell your MTR factory stock? I can come and pick it up anytime.
I don’t, sorry.
I was thinking of getting the extended mag release lever myself. But for the price of $24$ plus shipping and only being a very slight difference in length, I think I'll hold off. On another note, I read that the extended lever does not work well with metal mags. Have you had a problem with that?
It’s a very small difference. Only time I notice it is if I’m wearing gloves, which almost never happens. I only use metal mags, with the exception of one or two 17HMR plastic mags, and have not noticed any sort of issues with the mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom