Here It is: CZ457 Build and range reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread before? Nice rig. I’ve got a 457 in stainless and a Boyd’s At1 stock. It has a vortex crossfire on it. My brother picked up a 17HMR barrel at Second Hand Rose pawn in Tulsa. They used to be a CZ dealer but lost it I guess. Anyway, got the barrel and mag brand new for $120 OTD.
I’ve had it for over a year and am just now getting around to putting it on paper.
I think I’ll order that bolt handle and maybe the bottom metal. The plastic spacers needed for the barrel swap are a little cheesy but they get the job done. The metal looks like a sound upgrade.
second hand rose could be the oldest pawn shop in tulsa! been a while i should visit.

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 190327
Mods List:
CZ 457 MTR
CZ walnut varmint stock
22LR MTR match barrel
CZ 17HMR barrel
Lothar Walther 17HM2 stainless .860 barrel (to be cerakoted)
Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40
Leupold PRW2 30mm low rings
BScar 15MOA limited edition dovetail to pic scope base
Area 419 bolt knob
DIP aluminum magazine well
DIP aluminum magazine spacer
DIP aluminum extended magazine release
Ordered: anarchy outdoors one piece floor plate/trigger guard

I love this rifle. Thanks to many of you, I was kicked off the ledge on buying a bolt action rimfire, and I should have done this years ago. I picked the CZ 457 for the accuracy, decent trigger, ridiculously good looks, and the barrel swap ability. Being able to have 3 rifles in one is not only super neat, but saves me a ton of money. At least before I started buying aftermarket parts. I purchased the varmint stock to replace the MTR stock because I wanted this rifle to be first a hunting rifle, and secondly a target rifle. Couldn’t find any 22LR 457’s in the configuration I wanted, aside from the MTR. The Match barrel was a nice perk to boot. I can always swap back and forth if needed, but I do prefer the look and ergonomics of the more traditional stock. Another perk is that the varmint stock ordered standalone from CZ doesn’t have the branding cut into it, like the rest of the finished production rifles in the line, as well as my MTR stock seen here.
View attachment 190328 View attachment 190329 View attachment 190330 View attachment 190331
Fit and finish of the rifle is for the most part great, the barrel swap is extremely easy, but my biggest gripe is that there’s plastic parts on it, such as the mag well, the magazine latch, and the magazine conversion block. I ordered all the aluminum DIP parts to replace the factory plastic parts, and the bottom metal to add rigidity, replacing the bottom thin metal two piece assembly. The DIP parts fit perfectly, we’ll see how the bottom metal fits. I’m not impressed with the OE bottom metal fits around the rear of the trigger guard. I would have preferred checkering over the laser stippling, but at this price point that is probably out of the question. Both of the stocks have plastic pillars. I am considering getting the rifle some metal pillars and bedded, but I am trying to wait on that a while.

View attachment 190332 View attachment 190333

The DIP mag latch is just a tiny bit longer than the original CZ latch, and aluminum rather than plastic too. The Metal Magazines are super nice, problem is I am having a hellacious time finding any. Picked up a 452/453 17hmr magazine on accident trying to find some even. Its for sale, just pm me.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And when you put a Timney Trigger with an 8OZ to 1 pound pull, you will have the best and sweetest rifle in the price range.
For my long arms and myScope I need to put on a cheek rise from godagrip.com out of Florida. I was amazed of the fast finding eye release. My shooting targets at 235 yards with both of my CZ 457's in the .22 MTR and the .17 HMR Varmint. Both nail drivers!

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And when you put a Timney Trigger with an 8OZ to 1 pound pull, you will have the best and sweetest rifle in the price range.
For my long arms and myScope I need to put on a cheek rise from godagrip.com out of Florida. I was amazed of the fast finding eye release. My shooting targets at 235 yards with both of my CZ 457's in the .22 MTR and the .17 HMR Varmint. Bot nail drivers!
I must be in a minority that hates triggers that light.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my CZ S are Bench Rest at 235 yard at a target 6X8 inches. will be amazed of the results with light trigger! Also shooting off and RCBS R.A.S.S. shooting system nailed Prairie Dogs at 200 yards or better. Ammo makes a huge difference in them as well. Mostly I shoot match grade. I did find the $5. box of Norma (.22 CAl) TAC shoots
just as good as the $15 to $20 box of the SK.

Last edited:

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 190327
Mods List:
CZ 457 MTR
CZ walnut varmint stock
22LR MTR match barrel
CZ 17HMR barrel
Lothar Walther 17HM2 stainless .860 barrel (to be cerakoted)
Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40
Leupold PRW2 30mm low rings
BScar 15MOA limited edition dovetail to pic scope base
Area 419 bolt knob
DIP aluminum magazine well
DIP aluminum magazine spacer
DIP aluminum extended magazine release
Ordered: anarchy outdoors one piece floor plate/trigger guard

I love this rifle. Thanks to many of you, I was kicked off the ledge on buying a bolt action rimfire, and I should have done this years ago. I picked the CZ 457 for the accuracy, decent trigger, ridiculously good looks, and the barrel swap ability. Being able to have 3 rifles in one is not only super neat, but saves me a ton of money. At least before I started buying aftermarket parts. I purchased the varmint stock to replace the MTR stock because I wanted this rifle to be first a hunting rifle, and secondly a target rifle. Couldn’t find any 22LR 457’s in the configuration I wanted, aside from the MTR. The Match barrel was a nice perk to boot. I can always swap back and forth if needed, but I do prefer the look and ergonomics of the more traditional stock. Another perk is that the varmint stock ordered standalone from CZ doesn’t have the branding cut into it, like the rest of the finished production rifles in the line, as well as my MTR stock seen here.
View attachment 190328 View attachment 190329 View attachment 190330 View attachment 190331
Fit and finish of the rifle is for the most part great, the barrel swap is extremely easy, but my biggest gripe is that there’s plastic parts on it, such as the mag well, the magazine latch, and the magazine conversion block. I ordered all the aluminum DIP parts to replace the factory plastic parts, and the bottom metal to add rigidity, replacing the bottom thin metal two piece assembly. The DIP parts fit perfectly, we’ll see how the bottom metal fits. I’m not impressed with the OE bottom metal fits around the rear of the trigger guard. I would have preferred checkering over the laser stippling, but at this price point that is probably out of the question. Both of the stocks have plastic pillars. I am considering getting the rifle some metal pillars and bedded, but I am trying to wait on that a while.

View attachment 190332 View attachment 190333

The DIP mag latch is just a tiny bit longer than the original CZ latch, and aluminum rather than plastic too. The Metal Magazines are super nice, problem is I am having a hellacious time finding any. Picked up a 452/453 17hmr magazine on accident trying to find some even. Its for sale, just pm me.
Would you want to sell your MTR STOCK? If so how $$ and shipped to Arizona. 520-678-0041

Latest posts

Top Bottom