Here It is: CZ457 Build and range reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_4314.jpg

Mods List:
CZ 457 MTR
CZ walnut varmint stock
22LR MTR match barrel
CZ 17HMR barrel
Lothar Walther 17HM2 stainless .860 barrel (to be cerakoted)
Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40
Leupold PRW2 30mm low rings
BScar 15MOA limited edition dovetail to pic scope base
Area 419 bolt knob
DIP aluminum magazine well
DIP aluminum magazine spacer
DIP aluminum extended magazine release
Ordered: anarchy outdoors one piece floor plate/trigger guard

I love this rifle. Thanks to many of you, I was kicked off the ledge on buying a bolt action rimfire, and I should have done this years ago. I picked the CZ 457 for the accuracy, decent trigger, ridiculously good looks, and the barrel swap ability. Being able to have 3 rifles in one is not only super neat, but saves me a ton of money. At least before I started buying aftermarket parts. I purchased the varmint stock to replace the MTR stock because I wanted this rifle to be first a hunting rifle, and secondly a target rifle. Couldn’t find any 22LR 457’s in the configuration I wanted, aside from the MTR. The Match barrel was a nice perk to boot. I can always swap back and forth if needed, but I do prefer the look and ergonomics of the more traditional stock. Another perk is that the varmint stock ordered standalone from CZ doesn’t have the branding cut into it, like the rest of the finished production rifles in the line, as well as my MTR stock seen here.
IMG_4239.jpg IMG_4242.jpg IMG_4241.jpg IMG_4240.jpg
Fit and finish of the rifle is for the most part great, the barrel swap is extremely easy, but my biggest gripe is that there’s plastic parts on it, such as the mag well, the magazine latch, and the magazine conversion block. I ordered all the aluminum DIP parts to replace the factory plastic parts, and the bottom metal to add rigidity, replacing the bottom thin metal two piece assembly. The DIP parts fit perfectly, we’ll see how the bottom metal fits. I’m not impressed with the OE bottom metal fits around the rear of the trigger guard. I would have preferred checkering over the laser stippling, but at this price point that is probably out of the question. Both of the stocks have plastic pillars. I am considering getting the rifle some metal pillars and bedded, but I am trying to wait on that a while.

IMG_4326.jpg IMG_4327.jpg

The DIP mag latch is just a tiny bit longer than the original CZ latch, and aluminum rather than plastic too. The Metal Magazines are super nice, problem is I am having a hellacious time finding any. Picked up a 452/453 17hmr magazine on accident trying to find some even. Its for sale, just pm me.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_4328.jpg IMG_4333.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4337.jpg

I purchased the area 419 15MOA scope rail, it put the scope entirely too high for my liking. You could probably fit a 56mm objective on the rifle with it. Super nice part, just doesn’t work for me. Its also for sale, PM me. I had the scope mounted up with Hawke Match medium dovetail rings. Not impressed with them, ended up replacing them with the leupold after seeing how it fit with the BScar base. Doing this dropped my scope down to 5/16 from the barrel, rather than the Hawke’s 7/16. Still higher than I would like, but my cheek weld is good and it’s about as low as I’m going to get. The BScar Base is thin, nice, and fits perfectly. I am not too thrilled with the gap above the dovetail and along the sides, but with its design, that's just how things are going to be.

IMG_4340.jpg IMG_4341.jpg

The area 419 bolt handle however, is the best thing since sliced bread. Installation was easy, it fits perfectly, and the extra meat allows you to manipulate the bolt with just your finger. The knurling is perfect, and I can practically run the bolt with my index finger, keeping my hand roughly where it needs to be on my grip. The extra real estate also helps immensely when closing the bolt on a tight loaded chamber. I can’t say enough good about this part.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Range time!

This is before I installed the DIP Parts, the rail, and the leupold rings.

All shots were taken at wilshire gun ranges 100 yard indoor range. No bags or gun vice used, but I feel like I need to make some bags now. I used the crappy rubber block that the range supplied. I intended on sighting the 22LR in at the Chuck Hawks suggested 75 yards, but I just wasn’t comfortable with how I was grouping things due to a lack of a decent rest, so I moved back to 50yards.
IMG_4343.jpg IMG_4344.jpg IMG_4345.jpg IMG_4346.jpg IMG_4347.jpg IMG_4348.jpg
I shot Eley Force, thanks to Catt57, CCI standard velocity, CCI mini mag Round nose, Fiocci exacta Winter Match, Aguila rifle match, and federal automatch (thanks to Catt57 again). The Fiocci by far shot the best, but sadly I only have one box of it. I'm in desperate need of some Match 22LR and FMJ 17HMR.

I'm not super impressed with the accuracy so far, I believe 99% of it is just me. I've since adjusted the trigger down, installed the aforementioned parts, and swapped out my scope mount and rings. I've never been much of a precision shooter type guy, but Hopefully that changes. The rifle does swing nice, feels natural, if a bit heavy. Its plenty accurate for hunting, actually gives you that extra bit of confidence. Feels like an extension of my body, life a good firearm should.

Hopefully I can start remembering to take better pictures of the completed firearm more often. I'll be taking this bad boy back out to the range here soon, likely several times. I wouldn't mind trying to get a dope set up for each barrel and check repeatability, I feel like my POI/POA will change consistently without surprise. We'll see. Ill post up range results and continuing build pics here.

Last edited:

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking for @Roy14 . Is the 17HM2 a drop in ready barrel for the platform as well? Id always wanted a 457 for the dual caliber but I didn't know you could easily add a third...
I had a CZ 457 LRP in my cart yesterday until I discovered the stock was rhinolined beech. I think I'd prefer either wood or polymer, not a hybrid.
90947496_2971965226159898_262475613351182336_o.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asking for @Roy14 . Is the 17HM2 a drop in ready barrel for the platform as well? Id always wanted a 457 for the dual caliber but I didn't know you could easily add a third...
I had a CZ 457 LRP in my cart yesterday until I discovered the stock was rhinolined beech. I think I'd prefer either wood or polymer, not a hybrid.
View attachment 190363
Believe it or not, the LRP is actually the MTR with a paint job and the stock cut up a bit for the cheek rest and adjustable LOP. I could have sworn they weren’t sold in the US. They’ve also added a muzzle brake, pic rail, and weird looking rubber bolt handle to them. They’re super sweet though, if it were a decent price I would have bought it. I think a 457 royal is in my future though.
To answer your question, yes. The 17mach2 is a drop in solution. All you do is swap the barrels and you’re good. The 17mach2 uses a 22LR stinger case, that’s been necked down to accommodate a .17 projectile. So you need a 17mach2 barrel/chamber and the rest of the gun can be 22LR. At least with bolt guns. Semi autos require a little more. You can also single feed .17 aguila/pmc through it, but good luck finding any.
If you go with the lilja barrels, you’re required to shim for headspacing though, just a heads up. That’s a big reason why I went the lothar walther route.

Last edited:

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the LRP is actually the MTR with a paint job and the stock cut up a bit for the cheek rest and adjustable LOP. I could have sworn they weren’t sold in the US. They’ve also added a muzzle brake, pic rail, and weird looking rubber bolt handle to them. They’re super sweet though, if it were a decent price I would have bought it.
I think I like the MTR better. Thanks for that heads up.
It's weird that none of the MTRs on GB are threaded tho. I may have to dig deeper
116907564_3326617264028024_9108571003760411897_o.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I like the MTR better. Thanks for that heads up.
It's weird that none of the MTRs on GB are threaded tho. I may have to dig deeper
View attachment 190369

my understanding is that MTR models do not come with a threaded barrel. Or the fluted barrel shown in the picture. It’s likely just marketing fluff/preproduction artwork. The only way to get a threaded .860 profile barrel is to buy the Boyd’s at one version or the varmint pro.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the LRP and MTR. I already have a Tikka T1x in .17 HMR, and a .22 LR 452 and a bunch of other .22 LR. Now I wan tone of these too :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom