Here we go again, another school shooting. This time in Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet! The 2A community melts down when there’s talk about red flag laws that in theory might prevent some types of violence that are committed with a firearm.

I wonder why? I mean it's not like a democratic controlled government would use that in a malicious manner right? All the while ignoring those on an FBI watch list. So in theory you are correct, the problem is the reality of how those laws would be applied.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I’m in the same boat… but would add in other states, other groups could/would be targeted. It’s law that makes sense, until you think about how it could be abused by all sides.
It's not about how it could be abused, it's about how it will be and has been abused.

https://www.1310kfka.com/news/04/wo...-false-red-flag-petition-against-csu-officer/
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/r...bious-red-flag-action-against-new-jersey-man/
https://www.preparedgunowners.com/2...rass-pro-gun-students-with-false-accusations/
Nasty divorce? petty feud with neighbors? Political disagreement? Just file a Red Flag, Make your enemy suffer at the hands of the system, worst case the target gets take out by the cops and your troubles are over.

The complete elimination of due process is anathema to our constitution. Find a way to implement a red flag law that A: Doesn't eliminate due process and B: Invokes harsh penalties for false and malicious reports, only then will I consider supporting such.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet! The 2A community melts down when there’s talk about red flag laws that in theory might prevent some types of violence that are committed with a firearm.
You're right, most of us don't believe PreCrime is the answer. If someone is mentally incompetent, they can be adjudicated as such (a much higher bar than ERPO's) and either banned from possession of firearms, or involuntarily committed for safety reasons.

If you just have some angry a-hole making threats, then the actual answer is to perform a risk assessment and apply countermeasures. That's because this is still a free country and not a dictatorship. With freedom comes responsibility. I guarantee you could take almost every ISD in this country and find someone who's posed a threat to them. Based on that information, hardening schools, improving communication and addressing issues more promptly are all necessary steps. Long before the first ERPO is issued, people should also be advised to take responsibility for their own security.

Until all the many court cases reaffirming that the government has no duty to protect individual citizens from other individual citizens are overturned (and think VERY carefully before you demand that happen), you are responsible for the safety of you and yours. If your ISD doesn't adequately provide for the safety of your children or address potential threats effectively, then demand they do or homeschool.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re 100% correct that the 2A folks don’t like red flag laws and with good reason, because a person that is aware of history and how tyrannical govts have conducted themselves would realize how those laws have been used. I would be all for red flag laws if you could guarantee me that it would only be used on mentally ill folks and people who legitimately shouldn’t own guns. Unfortunately, no one can do that, and given the recent history of the FBI and govt corruption, I will remain solidly against red flag laws.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is why WE need to write the laws, not just keep saying no and expecting the problem to go away.
The law has already been written. YOU are responsible for your safety and not one single solitary government official in any jurisdiction in the nation can be held responsible for it. Authority without responsibility is tyranny.

Think about it.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see a red flag law working unless we're talking about immediately locking up a person that is 'flagged' and keeping them there until they are able to conclusively prove they are safe to be released. Is that what we're talking? Because that might help prevent these tragedies.

My other idea is to harden the freaking schools and give AP rounds to the trained guards on campus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom