Here We Go Again, another school shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that the social media phenomenon is a causal factor in school shootings? A small percentage of teenagers may be losing touch with reality after being conditioned to rely on social media for their feelings of self-worth.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that the social media phenomenon is a causal factor in school shootings? A small percentage of teenagers may be losing touch with reality after being conditioned to rely on social media for their feelings of self-worth.
As a teacher I think it has more to do with with the liberal political agenda.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
School shootings appear to be performances in the minds of the shooters. Social media is their stage. They are influenced by earlier school shootings which they learn about through social media.
This is true. The parkland shooter had done research on Columbine. Found after a forensic search of his computer.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This and the fact that they’re not properly socialized to begin with within their peer groups. Parents are having fewer kids now and those kids are being told to play inside all the time. When I was a kid there were kids seemingly everywhere that were approximately my age. We all got told to “go and play, stay where you can hear when we shout, and be back before the street lights come on.” Now that I have kids we have one neighbor who has one kid that’s able to play with mine. He comes over all the time because he’s being raised by his grandfather and he’s the only kid in that house.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think it’s correlated yes but not necessarily causal.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We have 12-13 kids on our block. I haven't seen one of them outside in weeks. When we were kids, there wasn't 800 channels on the tv, we didn't have phones or portable game devices.
We used our imaginations to entertain ourselves. We rode our bikes, made up games and solved our issues amongst outselves. There was not a constant source telling us how we should feel or react to situations.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vote for the culprit is a combination of social media and (more importantly) a lack of values being taught in the home.

This is what ya get when kids don't have a respect for anyone but themselves, and think they can do no wrong.

Congratulations Mom and Dad. :/

It's things like Mom and Dad not giving their children a conscience. Hugs, kisses, bonding, caring for pets, family time, one-on-one time, and simply talking has been replaced by TV and the internet with its anti-social inculcation.

Woody

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's things like Mom and Dad not giving their children a conscience. Hugs, kisses, bonding, caring for pets, family time, one-on-one time, and simply talking has been replaced by TV and the internet with its anti-social inculcation.

Woody

I’ve already taught mine, at 8, 5, 5, and 3, that it’s only acceptable to kill an animal if you’re going to eat it, barring pests like mice and hornets and flies. I even made my son eat a ladybug one time for killing it for no reason, as it is not on the list of pests, ladybugs can’t kill you and they don’t spread disease. I gave him lemonade after to rinse the taste out, but I think he got the point. Killing is only acceptable in defense or search of food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom