Here's Another Interesting Case Concerning the First Amendment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the inverse is true too. Mechanics and machinists should have to work with engineers to understand the other side.

I’ve found brutal honesty has gotten me out of a lot of traffic tickets. Police aren’t used to it, and most just shake their heads and laugh at me.
Re working with engineers, I've done that. Why do you think I believe they should have to work as mechanics and machinists? Had a young second lieutenant designing communications systems that could not seem to understand the idea of overhead in digital transmission systems. Kept specifying multiple 256KB data channels on a device rated for a total of 256KB of data, including 16KB of overhead. Mechanical engineers designing equipment that cannot be accessed to do maintenance on them, including systems from automobiles to satellite communications system. Specifying aluminum casting for trunnions on a satellite antenna that used a 10-ton jackscrew to raise a roughly 6-ton satellite dish 20 feet across, with said jackscrew pushing and pulling against the castings (two of them) and expecting those castings not to crack during repeated use in all but the most ideal conditions. Between the weight of the antenna itself, the force from the jackscrew, and wind loads on a 20' diameter satellite dish you'd think they could have done a better job. That particular instance was something that put MY life in danger, and took over a decade to get addressed. Their fix was to replace the aluminum trunnions with steel trunnions, and make them a time-change item, because doubling the sheer strength of the part was still a temporary fix. I'd suggested that in the first year of the process, too. I figure a good set of bloody knuckles from working on the equipment would be much better than having their design kill or maim someone. And I've seen more than one part design that would be impossible to machine. Designed by engineers and passed by other engineers because they really don't understand making such things.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess you ain't heard about flash mobs
Not sure what point you're making, Country... if a 'flash mob' can exist at all, in any specific area, then it certainly can be initiated ('triggered' a better word?) by the cop car's flashing lights - without any help from, or need for, somebody operating a cellphone's recording function.

And the flashing lights would attract rioters a lot faster, too. (Potential) Rioters arriving from around the area based on the spread of a recording... would require at least some additional response time [over the immediate reaction time of rioters already in the immediate area].

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please tell me you don't really believe that? For most of us I'd agree however, the lowlife's looking for their claim to fame by posting, what they hope will be the next viral video, depicting some tragedy affecting someone else are another thing. Most of them have no ethics and probably couldn't even spell it. Being humane is the last thing on their mind(s). They couldn't care less about who their thoughtless actions may effect, it's all about them. Case in point the scum who will stand around and record a rape in progress never even thinking to lift a finger to help the victim.
Your are so right. That's why I said " . . . should apply to things like injuries/death." 🙁

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not to mention: the implicit threat of citizenry violence is ALSO a threat FOR the citizenry.

the threat of police violence is ONLY a threat for the citizenry, don't think many cops are killing other cops or committing violence against them.

so if you view from that standpoint, the numbers are EVEN FURTHER apart.

like just look at it as a contact thing.

yes, every person you contact as a leo might kill you.

BUT

that's true *for every single person in the citizenry as well, we live with that threat and in fact it's statistically FAR more likely for us*

PLUS

the citizenry have the threat of police violence.

statistically, violence against police is LESS LIKELY than violence against another citizen. again, as noted, there is virtually no violence of police officer against another police officer.

so you need to realize again that while you have the threat of all of us, we have the threat of all of us AND you. and YOU are the biggest one most of the time.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i yam what i yam and believe you me, i had a fairly decent net following before the uh....powers that be completely eradicated my web presence. let's just say i've very likely made memes that you've seen or shared (not all political either, i had a lot of popular thunder memes all over reddit. the yolo perkins follow thru WAS ALL ME BABY).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom