He's the first buyer of the electric F-150. Why he's the future of the car industry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$100,000 shot to đź’© ???? :rollingla:rotflmao:

https://news.wfsu.org/all-npr-news/...-f-150-why-hes-the-future-of-the-car-industry
Schmidt ran into one big issue soon after getting his F-150 Lightning, one that is all too familiar to other electric vehicle owners: charging.

The clean energy worker took his F-150 Lightning on a camping trip with his wife and daughter his first weekend with the truck, and he found himself unable to find a charger.

"It was just not a great experience at all," Schmidt says. "We're trying to figure out what does that mean for camping trips because I'm not sure I feel comfortable going given the lack of infrastructure up there."
This is a simple fix, you need a gas powered generator in a sound proof trailer ….. I mean duh!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a nice fantasy but once the conversion is forced via taxation and subsidies, you won’t be allowed to own your gas vehicles. You also will be expected to share the collective fleet of EVs, most people won’t own one. These ”early adapters” are just tools to speed up the process. Useful idiots, if you will.

They have been fairly open in their end goals.

Possibly, but if so I will definitely be the guy with the Olds 442 in the sewers in Demolition Man haha. I dont mind rat burgers if they have the right seasoning.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually really like the looks and features of the Rivian but I do not think the infrastructure for charging is there yet. I really like the idea of a daily driver for around the house and day trips that requires very little maintenance.

I thoroughly enjoy maintaining a race/fun car but having to crawl under my less exciting vehicles is a chore. I am also getting too damn old and broken to be sliding around on a concrete floor.

I will eventually have my old power adder fun car and an electric vehicle in the garage, but not yet.
This is a nice fantasy but once the conversion is forced via taxation and subsidies, you won’t be allowed to own your gas vehicles. You also will be expected to share the collective fleet of EVs, most people won’t own one. These ”early adapters” are just tools to speed up the process. Useful idiots, if you will.

They have been fairly open in their end goals.
You shut your mouth!! Your government overlords will make you buy an EV and you'll like it. It's mandated, peasant.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say many/most people who purchase EV's aren't smart enough to plan ahead, period. These are the same people who coast into the gas station on fumes. They also think they can leave their home at 10am for a 10am appointment across town, then wonder why they are late. They purchase their first gas powered lawn mower, but not a gas can. Their also the same engineers that designed/built cars without spare tires.

These are precisely the same people that should not be allowed to vote.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I see is all the manufacturers rushing to go pure EV. GM, Subaru, Volvo, etc. have committed to go EV only in the near future. Pure electric isn't the way to go and may not be for 50 years or more. Simply put, our national electric grid is not going to support everyone switching to EV only vehicles. If your power grid is out for any reason, you're stranded.

I recently researched PHEV's, or plug in hybrids. I was shocked that Honda doesn't even have one now. There are a total of 34 models on sale this year. Of the 34, a full 20 of them are in the luxury class and start over $50K MSRP (not that you can touch one for MSRP right now). Overall, the price range goes from $27,845 for a base Hyundai Ioniq, to $507,000 for a base Ferrari SF90 Stradale.

The problems I see are that none of them fill two baseline objectives. One would be a commuter car with the highest pure EV efficiency, that will go at least 50 miles on EV-only, and starts under $30K. The closest is the Ford Escape PHEV starting at $34,785, which will go 37 miles on EV-only, with a combined 105 MPGe rating. If they made this chassis with a low drag 2 or 3 door coupe design on top, I think they could get 50 miles EV-only range and come in under $30K for a base model. BTW, there are NO 2 or 3 door coupe PHEV's on sale, which seems foolish since most miles driven in America are daily work commutes with one person in the vehicle.

The other objective would be a people and tow/haul SUV/truck platform that will carry 5 people comfortably and have a 5,000lb tow rating, again with a 50 mile EV-only range and say a base price in the $50K range. The Toyota Rav4 Prime is as close as it gets right now. It has a EV-only range of 42 miles (one of the best available) and a combined 94 MPGe rating. It's not slow either. With a combined 302hp, it's quicker to 60 than a base Supra and carries a 10-year, 150,000-mile battery warranty. The problems are it's a bit cramped inside, it only tows 3,000lbs and even though base MSRP is $41K, most of the ones available are selling for $50-$65K with ADM markup.

The only one that meets the tow capacity is the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring at 5,600lbs, but it's $69.875K and only goes 21 miles on EV-only with a combined 56 MPGe. Once the battery runs out, you're back to a SUV that gets about 23mpg unloaded, and far less towing something heavy. At least this one will move out of it's own way in either mode, which is something quite a few PHEV's struggle with, especially when the short EV range runs out.

So it seems to me that PHEV's haven't fully matured, and may not mature at all if the manufacturers are pushed into EV only by the left. Even with PHEV's, the technology needs to incorporate smart charging. Not just for the sake of the batteries, but also to make sure you have the option to only charge during off-peak hours so you're getting the most economical kWh from your electric company.

I'd like to have a PHEV in the near future as a hedge against high gas prices, but none of them meet my needs as of now. :(

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At some point EVs will have a solar panel the size of a cell phone and charging will be constant.

That's when I'll join the club.

Till then, I'll stick with my 5 liter 4X4 Ford truck.

The Lame Stream Media deliberately conceals the millions of EV owners who have significant problems with their fad. No thanks.
When aliens arrive

Latest posts

Top Bottom