Hey AK guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ak guys?
work?
:pms2:

heck i remember back in the day when the cheapest entry level AR you could get was a dpms or a stag for like $800, i asked on here about all the different $300 priced ak's, saigas, zastavas, wasrs/romaks. most people told me they were cheap junk that would explode and i should spend twice as much on an ar that is worth less today than it was then. but there were a few loyal ak truists out there who led me in the right direction thank goodness.

and, i will add the ar market only tanked because PSA literally destroyed the market with quality cheap AS #*!& ar's (there's really no reason to buy anything else unless you WANT it, if you NEED an ar, you just get a psa and build it). and now they are the largest US maker and seller of ak's, and their ak's *are* getting cheaper and cheaper. so who knows, in a few years US ak's might be dirt cheap again, but i feel the imports will never really go down.
I remember my first AK that I bought new in early 2000. Paid 200 bucks for it. It’s crazy how expensive they’ve got.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pap rifles are pretty nice for a new off the shelf ak. But if you're into historically correct or the ability to launch rifle grenades you will probably want a nice parts kit build Yugo by someone like Two Rivers here in OKC.

Yoda47

Marksman
Reaction score
Folks have posted lots of good info here. I personally wouldn’t buy an older gen pap (unless the price is right or it’s an under folder or something). Up until the zpap, Century was the importer for Zastava and QC was not as high. Zastava themselves handle the importation process now. Zpaps have some great features (if you’re fine with yugo pattern furniture) and if you can find one for a grand or less it’s a great value import ak

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Folks have posted lots of good info here. I personally wouldn’t buy an older gen pap (unless the price is right or it’s an under folder or something). Up until the zpap, Century was the importer for Zastava and QC was not as high. Zastava themselves handle the importation process now. Zpaps have some great features (if you’re fine with yugo pattern furniture) and if you can find one for a grand or less it’s a great value import ak
again, it's my understanding that if you buy an M85 pistol or ANY imported AK pistol; it's 100% import parts with absolutely nothing done by Century or any other us company you can hate on.

so if you are concerned about the whole "oh it's century" thing (which is nonsense, places like century and psa sell more guns than anyone; if you hear of a quality issue it *might be because they sell literally hundreds of thousands more guns than other companies*, then buy a pistol. then you don't have to worry because it's all import.

then you just worry if the slav put the front site on straight lol

don't me wrong, qc is a thing, but i feel it's extremely overblown. people used to say the same thing about psa ar's and after millions and millions of them *haven't* blown up, i'd say the same thing about early model zastava imports with us parts.

for instance: what someone might consider a "bad" quality ak that *still works* has still increased in value much more than a "quality" ar during the same time period. yes, this is due to import restrictions and government interference, but that's the world we live in.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
again, it's my understanding that if you buy an M85 pistol or ANY imported AK pistol; it's 100% import parts with absolutely nothing done by Century or any other us company you can hate on.

so if you are concerned about the whole "oh it's century" thing (which is nonsense, places like century and psa sell more guns than anyone; if you hear of a quality issue it *might be because they sell literally hundreds of thousands more guns than other companies*, then buy a pistol. then you don't have to worry because it's all import.

then you just worry if the slav put the front site on straight lol

don't me wrong, qc is a thing, but i feel it's extremely overblown. people used to say the same thing about psa ar's and after millions and millions of them *haven't* blown up, i'd say the same thing about early model zastava imports with us parts.

for instance: what someone might consider a "bad" quality ak that *still works* has still increased in value much more than a "quality" ar during the same time period. yes, this is due to import restrictions and government interference, but that's the world we live in.
That is true about imported ak pistols. I’m fortunate to have a nice Romanian made Draco pistol, but century did eventually start making US made Dracos 🤢…. In the case of the paps, century did very little work on them. As far as I know they just slapped a few 922 compliance parts on and opened up the mag wells to accept double stack mags. As I mentioned earlier the first paps brought in we’re imported with single stack bolt, which caused issues. I guess that’s not really century’s fault, but then again they sold em like that. So as long as the magwell wasn’t hacked up. npap and later should be good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom