1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hey fellow farmers types

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timmy59, May 15, 2019.

1. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This morning I had 4 dogs rip thru the chicken netting and kill 5 chickens and rip open a turkey's breast.. I called the Sheriffs office and was told there's no leash law, that I'm permitted by law to shoot the dogs if they are a danger to us or our livestock.. I wanted a phone record and got it.. Well on the way home I drove down the nearby county rd as I suspected I knew where they came from.. Sure enough the trashy place with TOO many hungry animals is where they came from.. I would have taken action this morning but the sweeter half told them to shoo before I could get gun in hand.. She lost a couple of her favorites a little silkie hen and a light brahma hen.. Roughly $ 60 in birds.. So we're off to the back yard to hone the honey's skill on the scope that's mounted.. IMG_20190515_190415.jpg

Ethan N, dennishoddy and dlmcm like this.
  2. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They have to be on your property and make sure they are dead, you do not want an injured dog making it's way home. Sad part is it isn't the dogs it's the owner who is really at fault.

3. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yes, you are perfectly legal to kill any animal found actually destroying livestock.

4. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yup. Kill em on your place. If you want to pursue it, you could recoup that $60 from the dog owners. They should just hand it over if you ask em but if not I'm sure a judge would see it your way. There's really two ways to handle this as I see it:

1: you make the neighbor aware of what has happened and make them aware of what will happen next time. The drawback is they may stir crap if one of their dogs doesn't come home and you may have to jump thru hoops even though you're in the right.

2: Don't tell em nothing and when the dog returns give him a dirt nap, make him disappear and forget it ever happened or that you know where the dog came from.

I ain't saying which option I'd choose but I can assure you my story ends with a dead dog.

Edit: ALSO, I'D DEFINITELY TRY TO GET PICTURES OF THIS DAMAGE AND DOGS ON YOUR PROPERTY.

Edit #2: I like expanded metal

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. RKM

RKM Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Much as I love dogs, once they have tasted blood from an easy kill they are going to be back, I would recommend the dirt nap. If they aren't in a leash their next target could be you, your wife or a child.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk

Ethan N, dennishoddy, Timmy59 and 2 others like this.
  6. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Have to agree with most of whats been said. If you go the route of extermination you need to make sure its a clean shot and they are disposed of properly. Last thing you want is a wounded animal running home.

dennishoddy, dlmcm and Cowcatcher like this.
  7. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Stake out!

Cards81fan, Timmy59 and Cowcatcher like this.
  8. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    To the best of my knowledge they don't have to end up dead, but that will be the goal and yes you are correct, it is the owner..

9. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This particular near by inhabitant is trash scum, not a neighbor.. Our fellow neighbors are all aware of this.. They're next door neighbors pond is full of trash that they allow to blow around.. They have 5 horses on less than five acres and no less than 4 dogs and they are all poorly cared for.. Horses look like bag of bones.. Most of the nearby neighbors we know as good upstanding people and if one of they're dogs did it I would contact them and likely receive an apology and reimbursment.. I said to the sheriffs office I wanted to make a telephone report, just for the record..

dennishoddy and Cowcatcher like this.
  10. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It sounds like a call to someone about animal cruelty could help solve your problems. If the animals are starving that could be one reason they went looking for a food source. Not sure where you are located but possibly the sheriff could point you in the right direction on that also.