Hey Smith and Wesson guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve been on the hunt for a model 29 Smith and Wesson. 8 3/8 barrel. 44 mag. Today I found one that the shop owner wanted 1250.00 dollars for. Now...... I’ve never claimed to be a smart man, but that is just OUTRAGEOUS in my opinion. What is a decent Smith Model 29 selling for nowadays? I know the price on Smith revolvers has gone up. But the still seems pretty pricy to me. Thanks.

The story behind my search: goes back to when my wife was pregnant with our little girl. Her mother was diagnosed with cancer. My wife’s mother was sent to Witchita for little treatment they were able to offer. My wife had to go to Wichita and spend a considerable period of time there living in hotels and eating at restaurants. She used the credit card to pay for all of it. So when she got home she was very concerned about the credit card bill she had ran up. I mean she was stressed to the point of being frantic about the bill. So I sold my Smith & Wesson 44 magnum to pay off the credit card bill. I’ve been looking to replace that pistol ever since. I had an opportunity to buy one at one point and time, but I didn’t have the money at the moment to pay for it. I’m still kicking myself on that one. So if anyone was concerned that is why I’m actually looking for one now. CASUALLY SHOPPING. Not actively in pursuit.

Attachments

• 6A007E22-E2A2-4C5A-8BB1-F6862024EE92.jpeg
    6A007E22-E2A2-4C5A-8BB1-F6862024EE92.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 74D2FE75-04B1-4414-AC40-84B306BD123B.jpeg
    74D2FE75-04B1-4414-AC40-84B306BD123B.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 129

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve been on the hunt for a model 29 Smith and Wesson. 8 3/8 barrel. 44 mag. Today I found one that the shop owner wanted 1250.00 dollars for. Now...... I’ve never claimed to be a smart man, but that is just OUTRAGEOUS in my opinion. What is a decent Smith Model 29 selling for nowadays? I know the price on Smith revolvers has gone up. But the still seems pretty pricy to me. Thanks.

The story behind my search: goes back to when my wife was pregnant with our little girl. Her mother was diagnosed with cancer. My wife’s mother was sent to Witchita for little treatment they were able to offer. My wife had to go to Wichita and spend a considerable period of time there living in hotels and eating at restaurants. She used the credit card to pay for all of it. So when she got home she was very concerned about the credit card bill she had ran up. I mean she was stressed to the point of being frantic about the bill. So I sold my Smith & Wesson 44 magnum to pay off the credit card bill. I’ve been looking to replace that pistol ever since. I had an opportunity to buy one at one point and time, but I didn’t have the money at the moment to pay for it. I’m still kicking myself on that one. So if anyone was concerned that is why I’m actually looking for one now. CASUALLY SHOPPING. Not actively in pursuit.
Surprisingly, after a quick search, that seems to be in the ball park of a lot of them I'm seeing, and even on the lower end of others available online. I only found one that was significantly cheaper, but it is not in as good of shape as the one you posted.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...smith-wesson-29-3-44-mag.cfm?gun_id=101457115
Does the one you're looking at have the original box, or paperwork?

Gunbroker has several of them in auctions right now. Some haven't reached $1250, others have already eclipsed that price. $1250 is a lot of dough, but it appears it's not a high price for that firearm considering what others are selling for right now. It would depend, for me, also on what all comes with that firearm (original box, manual, grips, etc.)

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
A quick search on Gunbroker only shows 1 $100 cheaper than that and most quite a bit more. Sooner State Pawn here in OKC has 1 listed at $1400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surprisingly, after a quick search, that seems to be in the ball park of a lot of them I'm seeing, and even on the lower end of others available online. I only found one that was significantly cheaper, but it is not in as good of shape as the one you posted.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...smith-wesson-29-3-44-mag.cfm?gun_id=101457115
Does the one you're looking at have the original box, or paperwork?

Gunbroker has several of them in auctions right now. Some haven't reached $1250, others have already eclipsed that price. $1250 is a lot of dough, but it appears it's not a high price for that firearm considering what others are selling for right now. It would depend, for me, also on what all comes with that firearm (original box, manual, grips, etc.)

wow! Thanks for the help. I guess his price wasn’t that bad after all.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow! Thanks for the help. I guess his price wasn’t that bad after all.
It doesn't appear to be a bad price, but it is a lot of money for sure, especially if you weren't anticipating it being that high. Before I looked, I was expecting to see them in the $900-$1000 range. I was surprised to see what they are selling for as well.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks pinned and recessed and in very good condition. Yes, such examples are generally north of $1,000. $1,200 to $1,400 is not outside the ball park. In fact, if I saw something like that for a thousand I would have one very hard time not buying it.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be a bad price, but it is a lot of money for sure, especially if you weren't anticipating it being that high. Before I looked, I was expecting to see them in the $900-$1000 range. I was surprised to see what they are selling for as well.

same here! I was fully expecting to see them in the 950.00 range. As you can tell I was shocked by the sticker price on this one.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see a pinned barrel in the pictures and the grips are from a later production gun. i'd keep looking man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom