Hey you health and fitness buffs, I have a question ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, calcium deficiency can cause leg cramps. This can be an issue on low-carb diets (such as Atkins).

Hope ya get better soon. :)

I'm on a calcuim/D3 supplement now so I figured it was a potassium deficiency. Added some potassium in and can already tell a difference but the pills are just damned hard to get down right now.

If you didn't like my first suggestion then you might try blending/juicing copious amounts of vegetables and some fruit to add flavor, then add some protein powder and fiber.

I picked up a book with recipes for folks who have chronic dysphagia, that is less about the latest fad diet to lose weight fast and more about getting the right nutrition. Just wanted a liquid multi-vitamin to add in so I could stop trying to choke down the supplements they have me on to help stimulate bone healing. That and get some fiber in my diet. My gut is VERY unhappy right now.

I couldn't find anything at Walgreen's that wasn't some off brand I'd never heard of. Or wasn't really narrow in what it provided, and thought maybe somebody here might know of something that was a little more well-rounded than what I saw today.

I think I'll take a trip to the health food store down the street tomorrow and read labels there. I'm sure I'll find something that will work.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on a calcuim/D3 supplement now so I figured it was a potassium deficiency. Added some potassium in and can already tell a difference but the pills are just damned hard to get down right now.
Bananas have a lot of potassium and taste great blended in milk (which has calcium). Add sugar or maple/pancake syrup if/as desired.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
BB, if I could afford it I would be taking one of these multivitamin blends. It's a powder you add to water or juice. When you click on the product you will see several tabs for more information. The vitamins are the seventh row down on my browser page.

http://www.bioinnovations.net/searchprods.asp

Good luck finding something that works for you.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I did that already (the bloodwork) and everything was within normal limits 30 days ago.

That said, I am still having significant problems with swallowing and cannot eat anything even remotely solid. It's been 8 weeks now and I've been making do with a mixture of protein drinks, Gatorade and several different supplements but I gotta do something different. I get fatigued really easily, have a wicked case of tonsillitis right now and can't even swallow the supplements I have been taking so ...

I've picked up a blender, a book written specifically for people who have can't swallow anything thicker than pudding based on getting daily minimums and am gonna start making my own stuff. I am getting to where even the SMELL of food makes me nauseous and that is NOT a good sign.

Plus, I'm having trouble staying hydrated because no fiber going in means ... well ... you know what that means.
I was gonna toss the liquid stuff into the pureed recipes to bump stuff back up where it needs to be because I'm pretty sure the tonsillitis, the fatigue and the leg cramps are from vitamin/mineral deficiencies and this throat thing is taking longer to resolve than any of us anticipated. I probably should have been a little more pro-active but I really didn't think I'd have this much trouble getting back to eating right.

Not an insurmountable problem. Just one that's gonna take a little longer than I thought to resolve ...
Have you tried Ensure. Loaded with everything.
B12 might be a good idea too.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I picked up a book with recipes for folks who have chronic dysphagia, that is less about the latest fad diet to lose weight fast and more about getting the right nutrition. Just wanted a liquid multi-vitamin to add in so I could stop trying to choke down the supplements they have me on to help stimulate bone healing. That and get some fiber in my diet. My gut is VERY unhappy right now.

I couldn't find anything at Walgreen's that wasn't some off brand I'd never heard of. Or wasn't really narrow in what it provided, and thought maybe somebody here might know of something that was a little more well-rounded than what I saw today.

I think I'll take a trip to the health food store down the street tomorrow and read labels there. I'm sure I'll find something that will work.

If you need potasssium go get you some coconut water it's packed with Potassium, don't forget magnesium either I think watermelon juice is hither in magnesium. But for Potassium coconut water and or banana's

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what ever you do shop on line!!! You might have to dig a bit, I get most of my daily from COSTCO, often online, the rest via careful shopping via Amazon.

Some areas that receive a lot of interest these days include Iodine, Potassium as mentioned, Selenium, Vit D as mentioned, Vit B, complex is easiest, fish oil, etc. It's not hard to build a custom, fairly priced daily package that covers your needs.

The 7 days pill planners work well for me.

Unfortunately my "better half" has found a pre-packaged solution that more than doubles my monthly expense and does nothing better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom